Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    So why the lack of pics fellas? Honestly???? Why haven't you guys been posting pics? So many untold stories. All of a sudden most of the regular posters have all these crazy hunts they haven't shared before. Come on, let's liven up this place with some pics...and stop keep stories to yourself lol.
    Not sure which thread has more BS in it... this one or the latest and greatest hunting regs changes!

Pics or it didn't happen!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Not sure which thread has more BS in it... this one or the latest and greatest hunting regs changes!

Pics or it didn't happen!
    What? no stories?? No fly with swatter? Chipmunks? Surely you have some pics of your own, lol.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

My two closest were both wolves, two separate hunts. Both inside 20 yards charging into the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    So why the lack of pics fellas? Honestly???? Why haven't you guys been posting pics? So many untold stories. All of a sudden most of the regular posters have all these crazy hunts they haven't shared before. Come on, let's liven up this place with some pics...and stop keep stories to yourself lol.
    Couple 15-20 yard bear shots on my YouTube. 2018 one you see the liver shot. Didn't get the 3 yard follow up head shot on film thank goodness. Not something I want to re-live. 30-06 recoil saved me from seeing what it looked like but caddisgirl said it looked like something out of Hollywood *gag* ... how much proof do you actually want to see from these stories? Want it slow motion too? Close ups aren't my favorite but are pretty common in region 2. 3 yards on a rock ledge blowing out your ear drum, close up double lung / spine shot seeing the front legs dig ruts for a few seconds. Never filmed either and would never post it if I did. I think I have some raw footage of the 3 yard headshot aftermath and shoving it off the cliff but it's staying in the raw unpublished archives. I'm a one-trick pony for sure but blackies at close range is my routine.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-05-2019 at 01:09 AM.

For me 7 yards was a WT buck
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Small bull moose at 12'. Couple of black bears at 2 barrel lengths. Muley buck at 25'.

Elk 5 yds & 8 yds - bow; Mtn goat 10 yds - bow; Stone sheep passed on 4 yds for 20 yd broadside - bow; pronghorn 5 yds - bow; wolf 10 yds - 300 mag; quite a few deer (muleys ad whitetail) under 15 yds - rifle; turkeys real close.

Most of these were back before digital cameras so photos more difficult - sorry pg83.
    Last edited by Brez; 01-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Arrow Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Quote Originally Posted by brn2ryd View Post
    IronNoggin, is there a story behind the wolverine?
    Methinks there is a story behind nearly every one of these posts, and some appear like they would be damn interesting alright!!
    Certainly would be nice if many of these tales could find their way to being posted for the enjoyment of all!

I'll start by answering your question: Of course.

An Inuit Buddy & I had set out for Shingle Point from Aklavik where I picked him up after wandering over from Inuvik.
    It is a lengthy run by snow machine, takes pretty much an entire day to accomplish.
    Shingle Point is a protected spur / harbor that juts out into the Beaufort Sea from the Yukon North Slope.

During the cold war, one of the Dew Line Stations was established there, adjacent to an existing summer whaling village used by the local Inuvialuit each year (still is). There is quite the collection of cabins there.

Our thought was to use my Buddy's cabin as a launching point to head out onto the ice in search of Polar Bears (he had a tag).
    Upon arrival we dug down through the snow to free up the door (snow was pretty much up to the roof line on all the cabins) and drug in an armload of wood to start thawing the place out. Shortly after that I went back out to collect more firewood...

When I did so I saw a dark shape about 75 yards distant, headed in from upwind towards the cabins. I realized it was a big wolverine at about the same time he felt something was amiss and stalled out. I made myself look as large as I could, and did my best LOUD Grizz Roar imitation. He bristled, hair up all over his back, and returned the growl perhaps even louder than mine. So I let another go at him. This time he charged forward at blinding speed right effing at me! OH-OH!!

In those days I had a carry permit, and although I rarely packed any heavy iron, I usually did pack a little 22 automatic.
    I knew I had that pistol somewhere under the heavy skidoo suit, and looked down as I madly scrambled to find and cock it.
    I managed to do that in one hell of a hurry, looked up, and to my astonishment, the bugger was about ten yards and closing FAST! JheeSuz!!

I double handed the little pistol, and knowing I would only likely get one shot, waited until he was less than six feet before I fired.
    Little bullet hit him just above, and just off to one side of being right between the eyes. Instant brain death.
    He tumbled and began a furious Funky Chicken at that, while I back peddled and lined up for another.
    My Inuit Buddy, having heard the pistol's bark, emerged from the cabin, 270 in hand, and literally flung me off to one side as he brought his rifle to bear.
    DON"T
    I SCREAMED! He's DONE!

My partner kept the rifle on him for 30 seconds or so - just long enough to establish I had the gist of the matter right.
    Then he turned grinning at me and said: Man you are damn Lucky! Like getting ahold of the business end of a chainsaw if they ever latch onto you.
    It was about then I noticed my hands were shaking uncontrollably...

Never did take any field pictures - that was long before digital came around, and simply never even crossed my mind. Still have his hide, it is a Big One, and given the circumstances, I did not want to part with it. Here's a recent picture with an Excalibur Exomax laying over-top that indicates just how big he really was:

Just a little harrowing that experience...

OK Fellas, I ponied up.
    Now let's hear a few of the tales associated with these other close range encounters Please & Thanks!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 01-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Methinks there is a story behind nearly every one of these posts, and some appear like they would be damn interesting alright!!
    Certainly would be nice if many of these tales could find their way to being posted for the enjoyment of all!

I'll start by answering your question: Of course.

An Inuit Buddy & I had set out for Shingle Point from Aklavik where I picked him up after wandering over from Inuvik.
    It is a lengthy run by snow machine, takes pretty much an entire day to accomplish.
    Shingle Point is a protected spur / harbor that juts out into the Beaufort Sea from the Yukon North Slope.

During the cold war, one of the Dew Line Stations was established there, adjacent to an existing summer whaling village used by the local Inuvialuit each year (still is). There is quite the collection of cabins there.

Our thought was to use my Buddy's cabin as a launching point to head out onto the ice in search of Polar Bears (he had a tag).
    Upon arrival we dug down through the snow to free up the door (snow was pretty much up to the roof line on all the cabins) and drug in an armload of wood to start thawing the place out. Shortly after that I went back out to collect more firewood...

When I did so I saw a dark shape about 75 yards distant, headed in from upwind towards the cabins. I realized it was a big wolverine at about the same time he felt something was amiss and stalled out. I made myself look as large as I could, and did my best LOUD Grizz Roar imitation. He bristled, hair up all over his back, and returned the growl perhaps even louder than mine. So I let another go at him. This time he charged forward at blinding speed right effing at me! OH-OH!!

In those days I had a carry permit, and although I rarely packed any heavy iron, I usually did pack a little 22 automatic.
    I knew I had that pistol somewhere under the heavy skidoo suit, and looked down as I madly scrambled to find and cock it.
    I managed to do that in one hell of a hurry, looked up, and to my astonishment, the bugger was about ten yards and closing FAST! JheeSuz!!

I double handed the little pistol, and knowing I would only likely get one shot, waited until he was less than six feet before I fired.
    Little bullet hit him just above, and just off to one side of being right between the eyes. Instant brain death.
    He tumbled and began a furious Funky Chicken at that, while I back peddled and lined up for another.
    My Inuit Buddy, having heard the pistol's bark, emerged from the cabin, 270 in hand, and literally flung me off to one side as he brought his rifle to bear.
    DON"T
    I SCREAMED! He's DONE!

My partner kept the rifle on him for 30 seconds or so - just long enough to establish I had the gist of the matter right.
    Then he turned grinning at me and said: Man you are damn Lucky! Like getting ahold of the business end of a chainsaw if they ever latch onto you.
    It was about then I noticed my hands were shaking uncontrollably...

Never did take any field pictures - that was long before digital came around, and simply never even crossed my mind. Still have his hide, it is a Big One, and given the circumstances, I did not want to part with it. Here's a recent picture with an Excalibur Exomax laying over-top that indicates just how big he really was:

Just a little harrowing that experience...

OK Fellas, I ponied up.
    Now let's hear a few of the tales associated with these other close range encounters Please & Thanks!

Cheers,
    Nog
    thanks for the great story and hopefully the beginning of many
    Last edited by Brez; 01-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.

thats awesome.ironnoggin