Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Yeah I’m gonna need to hear this story!
    You and me both!

Bear @ 3 yards with a rifle. I had previously botched a shot at 20 yards and hit him through the liver. I didn't follow it up because I thought he wasn't going anywhere. Ended up following the blood trail through the timber, then saw it went uphill. Crap! So I start climbing up and was so focused on looking for blood, I didn't see him sitting there on the ledge staring at me until I almost walked into him. He looked at me, then down at caddisgirl, then at me, then caddisgirl again. Seemed pretty calm. Head shot from 3 yards. Glad it wasn't a big cranky bear or I would have got worked over. Not sure if I included that in the 2018 bear write-up or not. I was actually a bit torn up about it for a while... the way things went down and the up close and personal aspect. Also realized I met that bear in 2017 and
    passed on it. Ugh... guess I'm still not over it. Reminder to always do better though.

If that does count because it was a second shot, the closest was a bear at 7 yards. Rifle as well.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-04-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Bear with a bow.....8 feet
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Closest was a big ol' early season muley. I was following fresh hawg tracks in the snow and had him get up out of his bed right at my feet. Only thing in the scope was hair. He was no more that 7 feet from me when I pulled the pin.

Once had a bear so close that he touched my leg with his muzzle when I walked past his den. Rifle was off the shoulder and barrel touching his head in a split second and he just looked at me with sleepy eyes and did 3 circles in his hollow tree and bedded again. I walked away from him and left him to his winter nap.

Ontario black bear with a 12 gauge, 20’ while I was in a sleeping bag..
    my buddy outdid me a few years later on another black bear while we were moose hunting... she cam in under the canvas of the tent trailer and was standing on his sleeping bag when he fired his 300WM. (She had been hanging around camp all week so we slept with loaded rifles) ..

mallard duck at about 80’ that hit me in the shoulder after the shot!
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Moose at 10 yards, saw his antlers coming through the Christmas tree, soon as he stepped out found the boiler room in my scope and tagged him.

I was slowly walking down an old skidder road blacktail hunting on a classic rainy windy day. As I was about to step around a big blowdown stump , I spooked a nice big 2x2. I froze and gave a quick doe bleat. About 30 seconds later the buck peeked over the stump at point blank .... kaboom .... no trim ��
    No animals were hurt in the making of this video...just cooked up good and tasty !

Kicked a coyote once. Felt like I broke ribs, he didn’t go that far, whimpered and took off. Don’t think he died though so maybe that doesn’t count.

A number of blacktails with the bow under ten yards, a few i had to wait for them to move away a bit,could have reached out and touched them.

Inches ,Large mule deer directly above me on the run .Had to pull the muzzle back to make sure i did not bulge the barrel, no aiming just pointed the muzzle .