Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Youth License (under 18)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Youth License (under 18)

    I just applied for the FWID for myself and my son today after a realizing my Resident Hunter Number Card has been replaced with the new system (I've been inactive for many years). I plan to take my 14-year-old son out on some snowshoe hare and some grouse hunting when the season opens later this year. However, in the meantime we plan to improve our shooting skills by hunting some Schedule C wildlife like gray squirrels and rabbits.

    Since I haven't had a hunting license for long time and certainly "fewer than 3 of the license years preceding the current license year" that means I cannot buy a youth license for my son according to the regulations. Can someone confirm this?

    So, if he goes out with me and he hunts only Schedule C (no hunting license required), he will be legal if he hunts eastern cottontail and European rabbit, but no snowshoe hare, right? He has a minor's POL so he knows how to handle a firearm. I wonder how a CO would be able to tell the difference between our selected quarry if we're just walking together in the woods.

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred128 View Post
    I just applied for the FWID for myself and my son today after a realizing my Resident Hunter Number Card has been replaced with the new system (I've been inactive for many years). I plan to take my 14-year-old son out on some snowshoe hare and some grouse hunting when the season opens later this year. However, in the meantime we plan to improve our shooting skills by hunting some Schedule C wildlife like gray squirrels and rabbits.

    Since I haven't had a hunting license for long time and certainly "fewer than 3 of the license years preceding the current license year" that means I cannot buy a youth license for my son according to the regulations. Can someone confirm this?

    So, if he goes out with me and he hunts only Schedule C (no hunting license required), he will be legal if he hunts eastern cottontail and European rabbit, but no snowshoe hare, right? He has a minor's POL so he knows how to handle a firearm. I wonder how a CO would be able to tell the difference between our selected quarry if we're just walking together in the woods.
    Nobody on here has any young hunters that can answer this for me? My son can legally possess a firearm with his POL, just wondering why the hunting part is so difficult.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chilliwack
    Posts
    354

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Call and ask your local CO.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    OK, based on futher examination of the regulations my son will also need his CORE if I buy a Youth Licence for him. Since he doesn't have that yet, he can carry his own firearm but only hunt Schedule C while we're out together. Hunting Schedule C does not require a hunting licence.

    I found this FAQ on Youth Licences particularly useful:

    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...of_a_youth.pdf

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Geez, the synopsis is not that well organized....it figures from a provincial publication. I was reading the wrong section under the Licencing Requirements!!! I got hung up on Section 3) Initiation Hunting Licence (which does not apply to my son but there is a youth component to that section). So, under Section 2) Youth Hunting Licence, the regulations state:

    "Youth Hunting Licence can only be issued to a parent or guardian on behalf of his/her child or ward who is 10 years of age or older and under the age of 18. Hunter safety training is not required to obtain a Youth Hunting Licence. The parent or guardian will be required to get a FWID.

    A Youth Hunting Licence can only be issued to a parent or guardian on behalf of his/her child or ward who is 10 years of age or older and under the age of 18. Hunter safety training is not required to obtain a Youth Hunting Licence. The parent or guardian will be required to get a FWID."

    So, no CORE, no problem. Blast away, my son, blast away.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chilliwack
    Posts
    354

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    See page 8 of the synopsis, bottom of the first column. Youth under the age of 18 must be supervised by a licenced hunter who is qualified to supervise. A qualified supervisor has a valid FWID with active residency, holds a basic licence, have held a hunting licence in BC or other jurisdiction for 3 years directly preceding the current licence year.

    By this, you can buy him a licence and he may hunt, but there must be a qualified hunter other than yourself to directly supervise him.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Okanagan
    Posts
    62

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Yes, as above. Also be sure if you’re unclear to read that same section regarding youth licenses in the wildlife act. I consulted with FrontcounterBC, and they said the act supercecdes the synopsis.

    Its a dumb rule, in my scenario, I go take the core class with my son, we both pass easily, I don’t qualify to supervise. So much for a new activity we can do together.

    I dont recall the “directly preceding the current year” part, I thought it was just any 3 prior years.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Walnut Grove, Langley
    Posts
    13,627

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    From the book
    4

    You do not need a hunting licence to

    capture, hunt or kill the following Schedule
    C wildlife: American bullfrog, green frog,
    snapping turtles, North American opossum,
    eastern cottontail, European rabbit, nutria,
    gray squirrels, fox squirrels, house sparrow,
    European starling, and rock dove (domestic
    pigeon).
    Have at er!!! Your not hunting so the kid is good to go

    Also if you have your core and FWID valid you can hunt with him till 18 if he gets a junior license ($7)and cuts your taqs. No rush for him to do core if you feel he's not ready for it.
    Last edited by Steeleco; 01-10-2019 at 06:13 AM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    See page 8 of the synopsis, bottom of the first column. Youth under the age of 18 must be supervised by a licenced hunter who is qualified to supervise. A qualified supervisor has a valid FWID with active residency, holds a basic licence, have held a hunting licence in BC or other jurisdiction for 3 years directly preceding the current licence year.

    By this, you can buy him a licence and he may hunt, but there must be a qualified hunter other than yourself to directly supervise him.
    That's actually INCORRECT. The bottom of Page 8 refers to an "Initiation Hunting Licence" which I do not have. If I was over 18 (which I am) and did not have my CORE, then that would apply. As a holder of a "Resident Hunting Licence" I can supervise a youth and he can have his own "Youth Hunting Licence" but record all his kills under my tags.

    I started this thread thinking exactly what you just stated until I read and re-read that section several times. If you look on Page 7, Section 2, it explains it all. I was looking in the wrong section initially.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15

    Re: Youth License (under 18)

    Quote Originally Posted by wifigary View Post
    Yes, as above. Also be sure if you’re unclear to read that same section regarding youth licenses in the wildlife act. I consulted with FrontcounterBC, and they said the act supercecdes the synopsis.

    Its a dumb rule, in my scenario, I go take the core class with my son, we both pass easily, I don’t qualify to supervise. So much for a new activity we can do together.

    I dont recall the “directly preceding the current year” part, I thought it was just any 3 prior years.
    The "preceding 3 years part" refers to the "Initiation Hunting Licence" for those over 18 who do not have their CORE and are just trying out the sport to see if they like it, but also want to supervise youth who are under 18. I am a BC Resident Hunter with PAL and CORE, so that does not apply to me.

    My son is 14 but because he has his POL, he can also legally carry his own gun AND hunt as a youth with me. Two rifles are better than one.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •