Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth License (under 18)

Re: Youth License (under 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    From the book

Have at er!!! Your not hunting so the kid is good to go

Also if you have your core and FWID valid you can hunt with him till 18 if he gets a junior license ($7)and cuts your taqs. No rush for him to do core if you feel he's not ready for it.
    My sentiments exactly! He says he's OK shooting squirrels and field-dressing rabbits, but when you see blood and guts in real life things can change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred128 View Post
    The "preceding 3 years part" refers to the "Initiation Hunting Licence" for those over 18 who do not have their CORE and are just trying out the sport to see if they like it, but also want to supervise youth who are under 18. I am a BC Resident Hunter with PAL and CORE, so that does not apply to me.

My son is 14 but because he has his POL, he can also legally carry his own gun AND hunt as a youth with me. Two rifles are better than one.
    Not correct. The section on page 8 refers to “Bag Limits and Supervision for Youth and Initiation Hunting Licences:”
    At the top of the column “A youth hunter, whether or not they have completed a hunter safety training program or are hunting under a hunting or youth licence, must be accompanied and under the close personal supervision of an adult who carries the proper licences and meets the prescribed qualifications to be a supervising hunter.”

”Hunters under the age of 18, and hunters hunting under the authority of an Initiation Hunting Licence, must be accompanied and under the close personal supervision while hunting by a person who meets the following prescribed qualifications:”

To be a qualified supervisor you must have hunted for the 3 years prior to the season. Take the time to read it all.

I went through this with my own son. Buddy hunted with me and my son for 2 years because I didn’t qualify.

If you are still confused call your local CO. They will give you the best answer.
    Last edited by dmaxtech; 01-10-2019 at 10:39 PM.

I finally got an answer from the CO. He confirmed that I need to have any 3 years prior before I will be able to supervise a youth hunter. Since I only have 2 prior years, my son won't be able to hunt with me until 2020. However, it was also confirmed by the CO that he can "accompany" me, carry his own firearm, and shoot any Schedule C wildlife "since you don't need a hunting licence for that."

However, he was also under the impression that the Youth Licence referred to youth 10-13 years of age and was seemingly unaware that it was revised to anyone under 18. It goes to show you that even a CO can get their information mixed up.

Send your questions in an email to fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca.

I have to disagree with all he told you. If you have a hunter number and have had for MANY years past your good to go. Just because you've not been in the woods for years does NOT make you able to go tomorrow and be legal once you've got your FWID thing sorted out. If he still thinks it's 10 to 13 I'd edge my bet his other info is incorrect.

I'd also bet another call to anther member and you'll get another answer.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I have to disagree with all he told you. If you have a hunter number and have had for MANY years past your good to go. Just because you've not been in the woods for years does NOT make you able to go tomorrow and be legal once you've got your FWID thing sorted out. If he still thinks it's 10 to 13 I'd edge my bet his other info is incorrect.

I'd also bet another call to anther member and you'll get another answer.
    You're probably right. My first call was to the "front counter" line which then put me through to their head office in Victoria to check the records for any previous hunting licences prior to 2016 when it was paper-based. They said I was good to go with my son this year (because I had a licence in 2003, 2018 and 2019*) but I shoulld confirm it with a CO just to be sure. If the government can't get it straight, I doubt any members on the forum would all come to an agreement either.

* when I buy it on 01 Apr 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred128 View Post
    You're probably right. My first call was to the "front counter" line which then put me through to their head office in Victoria to check the records for any previous hunting licences prior to 2016 when it was paper-based. They said I was good to go with my son this year (because I had a licence in 2003, 2018 and 2019*) but I shoulld confirm it with a CO just to be sure. If the government can't get it straight, I doubt any members on the forum would all come to an agreement either.

* when I buy it on 01 Apr 2019.
    Wrong again. You missed a year. “ in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years pre- ceding the current licence year.” 2003 and 2018 is 2 years preceding 2019. You need one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Wrong again. You missed a year. “ in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years pre- ceding the current licence year.” 2003 and 2018 is 2 years preceding 2019. You need one more year.
    Not disagreeing with you at all. I know that I need to include 2019 as well; it's FrontCounter BC that got it wrong which I was only quoting.