Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Fanny Pack Vs Backpacks

Re: Hunting Fanny Pack Vs Backpacks

This is what I use. can be a fanny pack or a full pack.

https://www.amazon.ca/ALPS-OutdoorZ-...=alps+outdoorz

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    For fairly short hunts I’ve been using my bino pouch. It holds my nocs, small survival kit, knife, multi tool, flashlight, compass, lighter, tags and ID, and some ass wipe. For longer hunts I still use my pack.

What pouch have you been using?

Obviously, a backpack has greater volume unless you have one of those teenie ones that have a water bladder and no room for anything else except a sandwich.
    I bought a Cabelas' guide model fanny pack when they first came out years back. It has shoulder straps, dual compartments which are fairly large. There is provision on the shoulder straps to add additional twist on compartments. I have one on each side. One to hold a folding knife and a magnesium bar, the other holds the GPS. It also has a water bottle holder on one side and a square compartment on the other side which carries a small first aid kit. Mine also is equipped much the same as Barry1974w's.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

For summer hunting I bring everything required to gut an animal and h20 and a change of cloths. This year I plan on bringing a saddle tree stand with me which I believe would fit into a fanny pack system. Each one has its pros and cons so I might have to just make the retail jump and see what works. God next season is going to be expensive......

A lot of people wear these around here mountain biking.

https://www.dakine.com/en-ca/bags/ba...ike-waist-bag/

up to 2L of water.

I used to use a fanny pack hunting but I always wandered off too far from my truck or camp and didn't have enough space for what I should be carrying.
    Eat your dessert first.

I use a badlands monster on the island for day hikes as I drag out my deer when I (occasionally) shoot one. For a half day hunt it can carry everything I need including a spare jacket or base layer etc. tightly rolled up and strapped below the bottom of the pack with the included straps. For hiking in dense cover where noise is a factor I much prefer it over a backpack. I'm also a major sweater and I think it probably does help a bit having less material against my back.

Get a decent water bottle holster to put on the belt of the fanny pack. That has been an invaluable item for myself along with a foam pad for sitting and glassing.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    it’s a “custom” idea that I stole from a buddy. It’s a fly fishing chest pack that has a divided main compartment and three outside pockets, all with magnetic closures. I had a seamstress sew clips on so can use my badlands harness with it. I can’t remember the brand name off the top of my head, but it works awesome so far. I used the badlands pouch for quite a few years, but always found I wanted more room. I’ll try to post a picture later. I just noticed in the quote that I forgot to mention that my rangefinder rides in there also.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

if the photo works, that’s it. With all the stuff that I keep in it all the time (except my compass, it’s with my ice fishing gear at the moment). There’s enough room left for my phone or a small camera, some snacks if required or whatever else. No place for a water bottle though. Although the badlands harness has a mesh pouch that folds out of the back that’s supposed to hold a 2 litre bladder, but I’ve never used it.

Nice rig dude. DIY is sweet.