Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
I buy a cougar and bear tag every year. I don't pursue cats and in the fall, I don't focus on bears. But, if in self defense I had to take one of them, my discussion with any CO is pretty quick, it was a legal harvest, because I had a tag.
Agreed, this was my initial thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
I never used to see Cougars very often, however, the last 20 years or so I see them almost every year. It would be wise to have a tag as they do show up and present an opportunity when least expected. I dont know why but I could of shot 10-12 cats in the last 20 years.
Yes, Cougars are very tough to kill, like the common cat, if they aren't hit right will go a long ways with bullet holes in them.
if they are on the rise that’s another good reason to hunt them...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
Cougars are a tough go without dogs but some pull it off

As for the whole predator debate I look at it as keeping balance and if I am going to take from the prey side I should take from the predator side as well in hopes of keeping things from being out of whack

Bears I enjoy hunting and eating but I rarely fill both tags because it is beyond what I need. I will take coyote or wolf as a pest on mine or friends property. But I try to do this in the winter when the hide has value.

Cougar well I would like to take one but no dogs and I have never seen one during open season

You can hunt predators and still utilize them beyond just meat
agreed, good points.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
The reason for you to hunt should be your own, I have never bought into the what are my responsibilities or should do my part when it has to do with predators theory. Or your saving ungulates if you kill predators especially if its being done so they are there to be killed by humans. Dead is dead no matter who or what does it. If you are concerned about ungulate populations then may want to consider not shooting cows/calfs or does as well, many feel this is part of the reason for declining populations as well. In some areas of B.C. there may be predator issues but in others there is not, in some areas considering wolves and there increase or problems can be linked to human involvement as well.
With cougars one thing you may want to watch since you mention prefer a male or one with out kittens is that a female will stash or leave her kittens for a day or 2 well out hunting, so just because you don't see them does not mean she does not have any.
Good luck on what ever you decide.
good point about females stashing kittens, I’ll have to learn how to tell the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Fishin_ View Post
hopefully my 30-06 with 165 corelokts do the trick!

Not sure how they have performed for others but I have personally seen 3 of these bullets absolutely explode into tons of pcs after impact. A moose shot at 70 yards double lung exploded and caused gut shot as well found pcs in the tenderloin. A deer lung shot with pcs found in the rear 1/4 and a bear that was a perfect 120 yard broadside shot exploded on impact and sent pcs all throughout the hit side and barely even damaged a lung.

I'm personally not a fan of these after seeing the damage they caused and having to make follow up shots when the first one should have done the deed.
Hmmm, I hear corelokt recommended highly, will look more into this