As I stumble and fumble through my first year of hunting, I thought I might grab a Cougar tag since they are still in season in the off-chance I run into one while out scouting. I plan to get my bear tag in spring.

Years ago I would NEVER consider hunting a predator, as I was only interested in meat, if I were ever to hunt. However, I'm starting to consider conservation impacts and what my responsibilities (should I choose to fulfill them) are as a hunter, in participating in predator management.

I mentioned this to one of my non-hunter friends – who is interested in starting to hunt (focussed on meat, like me previous), and he made a remark as if one was just wanting to shoot 'something', but that's not where I'm coming from. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the 'taking of life' part of hunting, maybe I'll shed a tear or two when I make my first kill.

However, hunting for me is very utilitarian, I see it as a far superior and ethical way of acquiring meat in comparison to factory farming – a few documentaries with inside cameras made that clear. And if predator control is part of the balance, then I'm all in. I would presume (though I could be wrong) most hunters do not predator hunt and probably simply try to fill the freezer, and that's all well and good - it's hard enough to find the time to get out there in the first place, and with my schedule it may even be a moot point.

However, I feel the call, I'm pretty obsessed actually, and LOVE any excuse to be out there, whether I see an animal or not, just finding tracks is exhilarating - it has unlocked some type of primal reward system in my brain

SO my question is, from a conservation point, or otherwise for that matter, is predator hunting necessary? If I encounter a cougar (without kittens and preferably male) or wolf, should I kill it? I'd love input from predator hunters with their reasons why they hunt them. I read polarizing articles for and against, I'd love to be steered in the right direction.

Bear or cougar I plan to harvest, wolf would be for the fur. And in all candidness, I understand the likeliness of me taking down a predator with my experience is extremely low, I'm happy to simply contribute with purchasing the tags