Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a predator tag: cougar... 1st one

Bought a predator tag: cougar... 1st one

As I stumble and fumble through my first year of hunting, I thought I might grab a Cougar tag since they are still in season in the off-chance I run into one while out scouting. I plan to get my bear tag in spring.

Years ago I would NEVER consider hunting a predator, as I was only interested in meat, if I were ever to hunt. However, I'm starting to consider conservation impacts and what my responsibilities (should I choose to fulfill them) are as a hunter, in participating in predator management.

I mentioned this to one of my non-hunter friends – who is interested in starting to hunt (focussed on meat, like me previous), and he made a remark as if one was just wanting to shoot 'something', but that's not where I'm coming from. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the 'taking of life' part of hunting, maybe I'll shed a tear or two when I make my first kill.

However, hunting for me is very utilitarian, I see it as a far superior and ethical way of acquiring meat in comparison to factory farming – a few documentaries with inside cameras made that clear. And if predator control is part of the balance, then I'm all in. I would presume (though I could be wrong) most hunters do not predator hunt and probably simply try to fill the freezer, and that's all well and good - it's hard enough to find the time to get out there in the first place, and with my schedule it may even be a moot point.

However, I feel the call, I'm pretty obsessed actually, and LOVE any excuse to be out there, whether I see an animal or not, just finding tracks is exhilarating - it has unlocked some type of primal reward system in my brain

SO my question is, from a conservation point, or otherwise for that matter, is predator hunting necessary? If I encounter a cougar (without kittens and preferably male) or wolf, should I kill it? I'd love input from predator hunters with their reasons why they hunt them. I read polarizing articles for and against, I'd love to be steered in the right direction.

Bear or cougar I plan to harvest, wolf would be for the fur. And in all candidness, I understand the likeliness of me taking down a predator with my experience is extremely low, I'm happy to simply contribute with purchasing the tags
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bought a predator tag: cougar... 1st one

Predator control is a key part of wildlife management. I a natural environment without any human interference, which would include hunting and building subdivisions in habitat, prey and readers probably balance each other but once we start to interfere we need to manage both sides. Also cougar meat is delicious don't hesitate to try it. Wolf on the other hand I would shoot but not eat.

[QUOTE=dbergen69;2063039] Also cougar meat is delicious don't hesitate to try it. Wolf on the other hand I would shoot but not eat.[QUOTE]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by dbergen69 View Post
    Wolf on the other hand I would shoot but not eat.
    I would have to agree!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Any dog I see gets a dirt nap (if I don’t miss the shot lol)

i dont carry a cougar tag because I don’t have hounds and never to often see them. 100% support hunting them though. The whole balance of the wild thing is complete BS, humans ruined this, so it’s up to us to do our part, or bye bye wildlife. Our government has showed us that they do not care about BC wildlife populations. So save a ungulate or 30 and shoot a pred.

Educate your friends on the truth.

Ps. Check out proguide66 instagram page, some great real knowledge on the topic of predators in bc.

cougar meats amazing , best p#$%y I ever eaten LMAFO
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

The fact of matter is you see predators such as cougars and wolves so rarely, and half the time you see them you don't even get an opportunity.... so if you have the chance in an open season, take the shot I say.

As said cougar is very palatable. I don't even bother hiking out to Yotes' anymore since I brought lice home to the dogs from the filthy bastids.
    I would venture more deer fawns fall to bears in the spring than the entire season under the hands of bait. Can't count how many little hooves I find in bear scat. Although bear is not my preference my pups love it and I hear the fat makes excellent boot grease. I don't find them particularly challenging to take with a rifle, but they are tough as nails and really tell the story on a rifle and its performance on game.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I'm a terrible predator hunter, but I do believe the only good Wolf is a dead one.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Every pred you kill you save lots of ungulates....shoot every one you see during the lawful seasons....cougar and bear are very delicious..