Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry can mods..

Jerry can mods..

Recently went on a search for new Jerry cans..best I found were the 25liter scepter ones, which still sucked but at least they have a vent hole.

The threads on the vent hole cap suck so bad that if you twist the cap all the way on it just spins endlessly so to unscrew it you have to pull at the same time as twisting or it just spins. Garbage! The vent hole is the size of a toothpick so you are still starved for air when pouring. To top it off if the fall over in the back of the truck they leak.

I used a unibit/step bit and while running the vacum I drilled out the vent hole to the size of the nipple to allow max air flow. I went on a search for a rubber washer to fit into the vent cap. I ended up trying a plumbing faucet flat washer made by moen part number M3866 which has an 11/16 diameter. If is like it is made for it. The hole in the washer fits perfectly into a the casting bump in the cap. Once pushed in, the washer is in there tight. You can now screw your vent cap on tight with no leaks. You still have to pull to twist it off but at least the cans pour steady and fast.

Anybody else have any luck fixing the modern gas can problem?

Side note and interesting thing I heard...Jerry cans were named in the war because the allied forces cans leaked and the Germans had superior gas cans which the allied forces would always keep when they were found and use them instead of their own, they became known as jerry cans..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jerry can mods..

I had that experience but then realized that the vent caps are like pill bottles and need to be squeezed or pushed....also they stay in place on the new one I fiddled with

Yup you have to push them! The new scepter cans are 10x better than the crappy ones they had for the last 15 years.

You can put two jerry cans in a low rubber made container and they wont fall over.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I have modded a lot of things but never a jerry can! I have never had a 25L can leak though. I may just try this.

I'd look for something better than a rubber washer.
    gas turns rubber into snot.

Mayble a flat neoprene o-ring?

Had luck using the brass valve stems for tractor tires, the two piece type that has a retaining nut
    Not sure of the right name, but they work
    I ditched the included gasket, didn't test it for gas-proof, but just used some silicone.
    Take out the valve core and use a standard cap

Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Check out the Scepter Military cans, these are what the allied forces now use of fuel. I doubt you can jimmy-rig something to work as well as these.

I have four and they're incredibly strong, easy to open/close, and they come with the option for a really good spout/funnel to pour. They're designed to empty quickly, I would say I can dump 20L into my truck in under 15-20 seconds.

https://www.dstactical.com/scepter-m...oline-red.html
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

If you have the new vent caps that spin like a pill bottle, separate with a screw driver and glue back together with a glue gun. I also drilled the vent hole out a little bigger so that it would vent faster.
    I dont have the link but a friend of mine bought vent caps for the handle of the non vented fuel jugs. You drill a hole in the handle snap the vent in place. They work great. Just dont do what I did. I wasn't holding the drill back and drilled threw both sides of the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by dabber View Post
    ...I dont have the link but a friend of mine bought vent caps for the handle of the non vented fuel jugs. You drill a hole in the handle snap the vent in place. They work great. Just dont do what I did. I wasn't holding the drill back and drilled threw both sides of the handle.
    Any pics or can you get a link to the vent cap?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education