Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Looking for Instructor/Guide Group and Compensate for Time

New Hunter Looking for Instructor/Guide Group and Compensate for Time

Hi,

I just registered on the forum yesterday. I am from Vancouver, BC and looking for a hunting instructor and guide. I have never hunted before. I completed the PAL and Core almost 4 years ago, but I didn't have the time to go hunting. I have a good equipment setup and have different rifles and bows with proper scope/accessories setup. I believe I have decent shooting skills and know my firearms well. Also, my car is well-equipped for snow and gravel roads in case that's required.
    However, since I am a little old (33 years old) I think it's a little extra challenging for me to get into the field by myself. All my life I have been studying and working and at this point I really regret not getting into hunting earlier in my life when I was younger.
    I would like to start by learning to hunt water fowl and when I have more experience then I would like to discover the possibility of hunting big game. I know big game hunting is not easy people need to reach certain experience level before getting into that.
    So, I am looking for a mentor and partner who can teach me and help me hunt. I am okay to go hunting in a group as well. And of course I am willing to compensate people for their time and effort.

Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter Looking for Instructor/Guide Group and Compensate for Time

Too far away to be any help firsthand but can offer advice. First off your looking for a mentor or experienced hunting partner to help you learn they cannot expect compensation for this as it would be illegal guiding

My advice is get involved in archery 3D shoots, rod & gun clubs, and shooting events. This will put you in the position to meet experienced hunters, learn verbally, and pick up shooting tips. There is a good chance if you’re social, express an interest in going out hunting, and real want to learn firsthand you will get an opportunity

Really you got to put yourself in a position to meet hunters

Even asking ? here and sharing your interest can open doors.

As for the big game vs small game thing this is nothing about experience level and are very different. Lots of people start with big game and some never truly target small game

Don’t be afraid to go out on your own solo just do your research and know your laws

I echo what wild one said, show the initiative by getting involved and guys will be more willing to help. If you’re comfortable in the woods then get out and start hunting. You likely will not shoot anything the first year or even see anything. You will need to learn to spot sign and as you get better at that you’ll learn where animals may hang out.

They only people that can accept payment for hunting are guides and outfitters. It is illegal for a resident hunter to accept payment other than cost sharing.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Sia,

I learned to hunt when living in Vancouver in the late 1960ies. I was lucky to get hooked up with a guy where I worked. He was very experienced hunter and a meat department mgr. at Safeway. So the field dressing and butchering was a done deal. We used to go by car which was tough many times and then I bought and old Land Rover. Four wheel drive with clearance was the answer along with the winch it had. Now 50 years later some of the places we used to go in the Fraser Valley & Fraser Canyon are either to busy or lack quantities of game like the old days.

Like Wild one & Fella said you'll have to work hard at connecting with someone. And try to get to the west sides of Reg. 3 or 8 starting when the season opens in September to look for places to hunt and have fun! Good luck

I don't know why you think you can't go hunt big game without experience. How the hell are you supposed to get experience. Practice with your rifle, watch videos on field dressing and get the hell out there. Nothing will teach you like an "oh fuq, what now" when an animal is on the ground.

33 is old now? dammit im getting old I guess

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Welcome to the Fraternity you landed on the right place.
    Getting into hunting at 33 is definitely not to late and you definitely don't have to limit yourself to Wing shooting. For many experienced Hunters, hunting for big Game is primarily for getting out in the Bush or Mountains and enjoy real wilderness while looking for Game. These Hunters also know most of the time they will come home empty handed but never "Skunked". I
    t is the thrill of the Chase what counts and if there is something for the Freezer and/or Wall, its an extra Bonus.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

You can come with me, I need someone to do the bull work.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I'll come. As long as you can teach me a thing or two.