View Poll Results: What Shooting Range do you recommend?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Rich Sportsman's Association

3 30.00%
  • Oceola Shooting Range

4 40.00%
  • Peachland Sportsmen’s Association

1 10.00%
  • Kelowna & District Fish & Game

2 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Range Suggestions?

Re: Shooting Range Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Can you guys give me an idea of how much you pay to access your gun ranges? We here in Trail have just had our fees increased from $5 (the cost of a key) to $25 and a bunch of guys are squacking about it. Oh, we also have to belong to an organization with liability insurance. Thanks
    $100.00 plus $5.00 for a key in Campbell River and you must take a range orientation class. 200 meter, 600 yard rifle ranges,indoor range and pistol and shotgun facilities. Lots of activities if you wish to participate. I really only use the rifle ranges but as I reload get up there fairly often. Price where ever you are will depend on facilities and how well everyone cleans up after themselves. https://crgunclub.bc.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    ...Curious as to why where you intend to hunt would influence which range you choose?...
    As a new hunter I know basically nothing but what I read and learn on here, hopefully friendly folk that are members of the range I join will be helpful in offering advice for the type of hunting in that area – to be clear, I'm not looking for anyone's hunting honey pot, just general hunting advice for the are and game I'd be hunting
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Can you guys give me an idea of how much you pay to access your gun ranges? We here in Trail have just had our fees increased from $5 (the cost of a key) to $25 and a bunch of guys are squacking about it. Oh, we also have to belong to an organization with liability insurance. Thanks
    What I've seen for annual fees
    Peachland $65 (family $80)
    Winfield (Oceola) $85 ($110 family)
    Vernon $90 (family $110)
    Kelowna (Joe Rich) $200 (family +$15 per)

Big jump for Joe Rich in price, but each range is seperate, and close by (50m, 100m, 300m) but no shotguns. Looks like they are active on Facebook, but their website doesn't' look current as their next general meeting is posted for Sep 2018.

Peachland is most affordable, but I can't find social media posts later than 2017, and their website looks out of date - hence why I am asking for real people's experiences.

Oceola (Winfield) I had a lot of interest in, but I'm not crazy that they are shutting down weekdays for the next 60 days or so because of logging in the area, only open weekends, which could make a busy range...

Vernon is a little far, but the facility looks great.

Kelowna in-town range is bench rest only (and more expensive than JR) - so not interested.

I really want to get very good and accurate with my 30-06. I've only just gotten rid of my flinch, after about 20 rounds. I would keep pulling the odd shot, or shoot with my eyes closed (yup, I'm admitting it). My plan is to make sure I am set up for an accurate point blank range for my rounds and rifle; Remington CoreLokt 165 are looking the best compared to the Hornady WT 150/180 and blue box Federals 150 I've tried so far.

I then want to practice at least once a week off-hand and seated shooting starting small and working up to 300 yards. Prone I'm accurate within 150 yards - my limit on Crown Land so far...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Thanks people. The Trail range has a 300 m bench rest range, a pistol/small arms 100 m range and a full archery range with out to 100 m targets and a 20 target 3-D course. It's a little rough but very functional. So sorry to derail if I have.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Even scrooge (assuming he is a shooter or archer) would not bitch or flinch over paying $25 annually for access to that range of facilities.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I'm biased. I love the JRSA facility. It's never busy, gorgeous setting, younger executives with a high drive to improve the facility, and you can have quite a bit of say in the direction the club is going in. It's a little more expensive, yes, but it was once cheap. Unfortunately the previous owner lost it, and we had to do some drastic actions to save the range. This is the first year of our rebuild with lots and lots of improvements to the facility. Also, I understand Peachland does not allow restricted weapons. I might be wrong.

in addition to the range proper, there is also the black powder folks (BEAR) who operate a walking trail for black powder pistols and rifles, as well as some Hawk and Knife.

In anycase, coming from Calgary, where range fees are insane, I find all of our fees locally to be a steal of a deal.

Also, if you're a shotgun kinda guy, there is the Central Okanagan Shotgun Sports Club that just opened up the road (Just off Hw 33 along the Big White road). It's like $50 a year, then $6 a round. Eventually, they aim to get Sporting Clays one day too (where my heart truly lies in Shotgun Sports).
    Last edited by Smitty86; 01-08-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Just bought a single membership to Armstrong With B.C.W.F and a key is $70.00.Lots of events all year long

Here in PG $120 family/yr. Paying a few extra $ for good facilities that aren’t busy is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWITCH SLAYER View Post
    Just bought a single membership to Armstrong With B.C.W.F and a key is $70.00.Lots of events all year long
    Armstrong is a little far fro me, but that's a great price!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Here in PG $120 family/yr. Paying a few extra $ for good facilities that aren’t busy is worth it.
    You must get a deal because it’s $150 for my family to go to the same range.