Thread: Schedule C Wildlife Hunting

Schedule C Wildlife Hunting

Just getting back into shooting at the range and hunting small game after a 15-year hiatus. My 14-year-old son just received his minor's POL on 27 Dec 2018 and we are excited to go out and shoot some Schedule C wildlife to improve our skill level at hunting/shooting. Between us, we have a .17HMR, .22LR, and a .410 shotgun we can use for this purpose. We are particularly interested in the European Rabbit, Eastern Cottontail and Eastern Grey Squirrel. We are really not that interested in eating any (well, maybe the rabbit) so meat destruction with a body shot is OK.

We have a varmint hunting trip planned in late March in SE Alberta for Richardson Ground Squirrels, but in the meantime we'd like to hunt some Schedule C until then. I am looking for seasonal suggestions for places to hunt particular Schedule C wildlife. I realize some places are coveted so you can send me a PM if a public post is not ideal. For the early fall, we plan to switch to hunting grouse near Hope and Merritt.

I live in Coquitlam and am not opposed to driving 2-3 hours out of town to get somewhere. I am considering heading to a few FSRs off the Coquihalla and giving them a try, but might wait a bit until I can actually drive it with all the snow on the ground there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Schedule C Wildlife Hunting

I've been trying to find a squirrel spot for a while. Problem is most of the non-native species seem to hang around more developed locations i.e. not in the bush. I'm planning on eating one when I get the chance. "Fried squirrel and cathead biscuits" from Rinella's book

Re: Schedule C Wildlife Hunting

The last time I hunted gray squirrels was in the South Okanagan near Bridesville many, many years ago but that's a good 5-hour drive from the LML. I had a 12-gauge with me that time and it was messy. I'm looking forward to the hunting trip in March.