Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Gong Show

Re: Harrison Gong Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Stop telling these road warriors how to hunt. They need to stay on the roads where they belong. I'm actually starting to like how it is now because I can better predict where I need to be when the roads are buzzing.
    So true so true but I still would avoid hunting in harrison
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    ^^^ "Little Iraq" and "Mad Max" describe it quite nicely. So even going further North and East (I see "Cogburn Creek FSR", for example) it will be similar? Shame really, the terrain is beautiful...
    I'm happy to say there is no shortage of terrain like that in BC. Welcome, by the way.

Take a drive up this way (Squamish) a fair number of roads and fewer crazies. PM me if you want more specific details.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Stop telling these road warriors how to hunt. They need to stay on the roads where they belong. I'm actually starting to like how it is now because I can better predict where I need to be when the roads are buzzing.
    LOL fair enough. Nothing against road hunting either. It is effective in some places but Reg 2 bears know how to play that game. I think it might actually be the only coherent part of their thought process. Engine sound, hide. No engine sound, commence grass eating and pooping.

So, ditching Harrison.... For Spring Bear - would Boston Bar or the Coquihalla be a better/quieter area to explore (coming from Coquitlam)? How far up the Coquihalla would you have to drive to hit FSRs that take you into suitable terrain?

Thanks for the feedback...
    I am not sure how good Boston Bar is for Spring Bear. They are definitely active in the Fall though. It's probably quite reasonable and there would definitely be less traffic. It is steep country and might be a few weeks behind lower elevation places in snow melt though. Worth checking out though. Any south facing exposure with grass should have bears. Find the nipped grass, find the poop, play the wind, shoot a bear.

The bears are still a little bit spooky in there from what I have seen. I saw one in the fall bolt across the road while driving. Another I saw on a power line trail. Silly me though. I camped on top of a section of power line trail, figuring the thermals would switch right around first light and I would have the wind in my face. Dead wrong. Spotted what I am guessing was a tank at 400 yards but it was already standing up sniffing us out.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post

Like most places in the Fraser Valley though, the roads are super busy but the overall land mass on average likely receives less hunting pressure than anywhere else in BC. 98% of hunting pressure is condensed into less than 5% of the actual land mass, in and around roads. I have poked my head in the timber for a few little hikes and it looks like everywhere else... mess of animal trails, rubs, mauled stumps/logs, bear crap and hardly any sign of humans.
    Guess that makes a lot of sense. I have to say though, what I saw yesterday, the traffic/people you have to "go through/see" in order to get to some nice spots I would consider for hiking in is very off-putting. Then again, it was sample size of "1", so maybe I should explore more and worry less.

Lytton North things start getting better. Drive right past Boston bar it’s too popular

WWBF

check out soo River past whistler.

Go mid / end of May

enjoy the amazing scenery and abundant bears.

I had many good weekends up there when I lived in the LML

Guess that makes a lot of sense. I have to say though, what I saw yesterday, the traffic/people you have to "go through/see" in order to get to some nice spots I would consider for hiking in is very off-putting. Then again, it was sample size of "1", so maybe I should explore more and worry less.
    The worry part is valid. I'd also worry about the way people drive/shoot on that road, I would also worry about my vehicle being broken into our vandalised (though I worry about that a bit where I hunt too)

I think it all comes down to the kind of hunting you want to experience. I have no doubt about coming out of East Harrison with a bear, but I know the trip in and out will be far from serenity.

The thing I like about bear hunting within the gong show is that it's just over an hour of driving and still super easy to cut a tag.

If I wanted or needed more space to myself or even if I didn't mind driving (couple hours of driving drains me more than packing a bear out LOL) I'd go further for bear.

Wild One mentioned some really nice bear country that isn't too far out.

sounds like not much has changed..

moving the shooting boundary just pushes the garbage shooters...
    i would like to see police and co come to these spots..not just road block at the bottom but drive up in a un marked beater...and observe...
    the amount of restricted weapons,garbage shooting,drug use, excessive alchoal,and stolen atvs and vehicles detected would be massive..
    i am proud to say i live in a quite corner of the world now.

but these new rules are encouraging to go hunt blacktails...tasty little guys.
    my freinds and family that still live down there still get deer yearly.