Thread: How many bones is too many?

How many bones is too many?

I've had Sako on a couple of rivers where there's a lot of chum skeletal remains on the shore while out hunting waterfowl. No flesh on the bones because they're too old so no inclination at all to roll in them,,,,,, just the spine, rib bones, and jaw left behind.

Sako went to town on them on both occasions chewing and crunching them down like potato chips while we were setting up and taking down the blind and gathering decoys. I kept thinking it might affect her digestive system the next day but there were no changes either time. Her breath smelled a tad fishy today, though. My buddy's DD was eating them like there was no tomorrow, too.

Has anybody had a dog that had any issues eating fish carcass bones before?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many bones is too many?

There are two main concerns with salmon bones from my limited experience:

1. They can lead to the same issues as they do in humans in terms of blockages and punctures. Like most bone situations, raw bones are a little less concerning than cooked but a dog chowing down on a fish carcass can easily end up with a blocked airway.

2. Ingesting the parasite that causes salmon poisoning

I wouldn't encourage or allow the behaviour but wouldn't necessarily aversion train or strongly correct for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SignalLight View Post
    There are two main concerns with salmon bones from my limited experience:

1. They can lead to the same issues as they do in humans in terms of blockages and punctures. Like most bone situations, raw bones are a little less concerning than cooked but a dog chowing down on a fish carcass can easily end up with a blocked airway.

2. Ingesting the parasite that causes salmon poisoning

I wouldn't encourage or allow the behaviour but wouldn't necessarily aversion train or strongly correct for it.
    It's not a fish carcass, though, in terms of there being any flesh or digestive organs which is where the toxicity (where the parasites are) which causes dogs to get salmon poisoning disease. It's basically just the spines that are still laying around with a few of the rib bones that haven't already fallen off. A lot of the vertebrae are just lying there individually.

That being said, I think I'll put her a down/stay when we're cleaning up to limit the amount she may be able to eat. The walks out with the gear/decoys takes time, though,,,,, that's when she might be able to find them, as well.

I asked the vet about grinding up my left over fish heads and bellies (added to the hunting trimmings dog food) and he said there was no problem as long the fish bones were ground up.

I would be a little worried that something sharp might cause a problem, but given the size of sticks I have pulled out of my dogs throat, I wouldn't be two worried about blockages.

I trust Sako is okay with no signs of trouble? Your hunting buddy seems pretty tough to pick blackberries but dogs eating fish is nothing new so I"m sure Sako is fine and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Were you able to check the stool for bones and any signs of blood?

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I trust Sako is okay with no signs of trouble? Your hunting buddy seems pretty tough to pick blackberries but dogs eating fish is nothing new so I"m sure Sako is fine and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Were you able to check the stool for bones and any signs of blood?
    I checked her poopand it was fine. I wasn't worried about the bones not being digested or even getting caught in her throat. A lot of the vertebrae broke apart as singles and she was chewing them down, not just swallowing them. What I was worrying more about was whether or not dogs could get the salmon poisoning disease from the bones. Found out they can't,,,,,the parasite is only in the flesh and digestive organs which had already decomposed or had already been eaten by eagles.

As long as the flesh has been frozen for a week it's safe, too, and freezing of the flesh likely happened during that cold streak we had but as I say, no flesh around.

oh that's good news.