Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

Re: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    ^ Kinda like Leopold/Redfield eh.. huh, didn't know that.
    I did not know that about Leopold/Redfield so we both learn something today lol

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    Salty can barely tie up his shoe laces...the rod build might be impossible..😁

If you get a chance to **** off, take it

I did not know that about Leopold/Redfield so we both learn something today lol
    Sounds like we're square then
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Lol. HNY ...
    Midnight toker

I have 3 Sage rods and a G Loomis. Two older fenwicks in glass. Oh and one Kennedy Fisher blank built by Wayne Hansen. My 9 year old grandson, got a 13 foot Redington Spey rod from me for Christmas. Yes, Redington is owned by Sage, and I was surprised to see, that like Sage, the rod came with a life time warranty. I was looking at some single handed, Redingtons as well, seem like a nice rod, and a lot cheaper than the higher end Sage. I found lots of reviews for Redington fly rods, and all are favourable. Seems like a good choice.

http://redsflyshop.com/blog/200-rod-vs-900-redington
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

What kind of fly fisherman are you? Do you sit in a boat and sipping beer casting to chironomids all day or stalk the rivers with a two hander in search of mighty steelhead? Maybe you prefer to tiptoe along a sleepy little creek with your 2wt and cast underneath the overhanging trees on the opposite bank for a reluctant trout?
    All of these disciplines demand different abilities and different fly rods to go with them.

If you plan to step up your game you should be now be looking for different rods for different applications, first pick the fishing you most want to do and then find a rod to match, more rods will come later as you increase your capabilities and learn what you like to do most.
    Just like shooting it's a disease that can only be cured by numerous trips to the lake, rivers, streams and fly shops.

I've been fly fishing for about twenty years now and fish rivers and streams, tie flys, built rods and have fished the rivers around here extensively. I have come to prefer a softer slower rod and fish an 8wt sage SLT for single hand salmon and steelhead, for trout I like Scott G1 and have a 2wt and a 4wt, these are good weights for trout in the Skagit and Harrison rivers. Also fish a 10ft Scott Radian in a 5wt over lined with a 6wt line for bombing out long casts into the wind with flys the size of a small airplane for the big trout you can sometimes find in the Thompson.
    I have many other rods including a few double handers but those are the rods I fish and enjoy most.

All of the rods I use are 4 piece...though I admit I covet the little 5pc Scott G series poachers rod I bought new in tube for my wife for xmas a couple of years ago.
    All of these rods are expensive but can be bought used for between 4 and 8 hundred dollars(I paid $350 for the 5pc, it was $850 rod when new and would be a$1000 today) just do a little homework and be patient.
    Some of the best rods you can get are discontinued like the Sage SLT so look around and check out FlyBC for deals.
    Most higher end rods come with life time warrantees that are transferable so you don't need to worry about that much.

If you do plan on getting a little more serious the best thing you can do is invest a few dollars in a one hour casting lesson, bad habits are hard to unlearn.
    Most shops that sell gear either give them or know where to get them(my recommendation for single hand would be Aaron Goodis at M&Y in Vancouver, just a very good teacher with endless patience)
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    What kind of fly fisherman are you? Do you sit in a boat and sipping beer casting to chironomids all day or stalk the rivers with a two hander in search of mighty steelhead? Maybe you prefer to tiptoe along a sleepy little creek with your 2wt and cast underneath the overhanging trees on the opposite bank for a reluctant trout?
    All of these disciplines demand different abilities and different fly rods to go with them.
    As said I want a 5 wt for trout I've got heavier and lighter rods for other purposes. It'd be mainly small to medium size region 3 lakes using a small boat.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    I use a Sage 1 but also have a St. Croix that is just as good and is about 1/3 of the cost
    X2 on the St. Croix.

So if you want to mainly fish lakes that means one of the things you will do a lot of is tossing chironomids, at least that is part of the fishing that will define your needs. The reason I say this is the rod that is perfect for Chironomid fishing can also be used for an all-round lake rod so will work just as well(or well enough) for stripping leaches or any other type of lake fishing you might do but a rod that is shorter with a slower cast would make casting chironomids difficult at best.
    Chironomid fishing demands casting very long leaders with a small float and a tiny fly so you will want a rod in the ten foot range and something with a faster action.

Most of the rods talked about by previous posters are in the $200-$300 range I would guess(Reddington, St Croix,Fenwick) If I was wanting a new lake rod and wanted to spend around $500 I think I would look at the GLoomis but you really need to go to a fly shop and test them out to get the feel for them yourself. It may be that the $200-$300 rods are just what you need because everyone likes a different style and feel for there cast and the only real way to find that out is to cast.

The first fly rod I bought was my Sage SLT, it was half price because it was discontinued, when I asked about lessons the owner had someone watch the shop and he walked me down to a grass field and showed me the basics of casting for an hour, no charge. Since then those guys have become friends and I have taken many courses with them and have camped and fished with one of the owners. that was at M&Y in Whalley.
    I went there first because its close to where I live but now because I can go there and they will line any rod I or anyone chooses and take you out to the parking lot to cast it and of course because they have now become friends. I have over the years spent many thousands of dollars there and couldn't be happier with my experience with them so I would highly recommend their shop for someone that is getting serious about fly fishing.
    Last edited by knothead; 01-04-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

thx knothead a lot of good info there. Yeah a lesson would be a good plan I'm self taught maybe 50 days out with a fly rod, I looked at some videos but no real training. I wish M and Y were closer I've heard nothing but good them.

The best 5wt rod for a good price, would be to buy a book, a blank, some thread, glue, some cork, etc and fly at 'er!