Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

Re: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

Salty,

I completely agree with Knothead... he is not so much as naming a brand but steering you to a rod that is more focused to your niche..... Ergo a lake rod for chironomid fishing...
    Rather than just going and buying what is effectively the same as what you have...... TFO, Reddington, St Croix.... they are all the same "Class" of rod if you base it on money alone. If you have a few rods maybe it is time to start dialing in specific rods for specific purposes....

All said, a good fly shop will let you cast the rod in the parking lot... they will have a parking lot line...
    poke around shops for new rods and keep an eye on the EE on Flybc

But to me it sounds like you need a delegated lake rod..... and a trip to Merritt in the spring!

Hahaha now I know how the new guys feel here that post a thread asking if a Savage Axis would be a good first rifle. And then end up buying a Sako Lots to think about thanks again guys. I'd figured a 9 foot would be lots but the chironomid fishing talk has me paying attention to the benefits of a 10, I haven't done much of that type of fishing yet.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I used to work at a fly shop...St. Croix makes a fine rod that won't break the bank. A 10' rod is nice to have on big water.

Check out the Vision Onki, I have 3 in various wt. Great rods.

The best place on earth ( In the bush )

Salty, my buddy went to buy a Ruger American and came home with an X-Bolt.

but the fact is you have delegated river rods and multi purpose rods...
    if you are fishing lakes ... it only makes sense to me for you to buy a delegated lake rod....

As far as I am concerned the dollar factor rod you are looking at are all pretty equal in quality. Guys online might rave about one thing or another, have good or bad experiences.... but I bet they will all be equal ish....
    it is the purpose of the rod and the cast stroke of the user that make the biggest differences..

Ergo I am a river guy ... I have a 4 and an 8 ..... my wife has a 4 and a 6...... I wouldn't go buy a 7..... makes no sense.... I am however constantly wanting a Spey Rod...
    any way... lol.... have fun!