Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

I'm a bit of a hacker at fly fishing, got in to it about 10 years ago for a few years and at the time bought a Temple Fork Outfitters Signature which at the time was recommended as a good starter rod. I'd have to agree with that its caught me a fair jag of fish and taught me the basics, but I haven't done any fly fishing for several years. So I'm still an intermediate or so rate fly fisher, but have done tons of other types of fishing.

I want to get back in to fly fishing trout again and figure its time to kick it up a notch. I'll keep the TFO as a spare/loaner it wears an old Dragonfly reel with one spare spool. I have a Snowbee cassette reel with 3 spools that I'll put on the new rod. So... what's a good 5 wt rod in the mid range I guess? Not in to dropping a grand but will probably step up from a hundy, lol. I was looking at some Fenwicks, Redington etc. in the 2-300 range but the models are all greek to me. I would be mainly fishing smaller lakes, the odd river. Any input welcomed
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

I like the redingtons myself good bang for your buck. I would not go crazy on a reel for a 5wt it’s mostly just a line holder to me.

Personally if I am going mid range Redington just feels right in my hand

Google "5 Wt shootout" Will give you an idea of what you can get for $$. I picked up a Fenwick Aetos 5 Wt a few months ago at BassPro for under $200.00 great rod!! I got the last one, they sold out fast. BassPro also had a TFO rod there that the guy said was just as good if not better than the Fenwick for about the same $$. Enjoy!!
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

Orvis Clearwater is a great rod in the 250-300 range. Sail has them on special right now.

I have a 10'3 mystic 5 weight and it is great. I do not remember what I paid but I will be buying another one before spring

Well a Reddington or two, an Aetos, and an Orvis Clearwater are all ones I was looking at a few months back. Good to hear some approval from you guys. Don't think I've ran in to a mystic but they look interesting on line thx Lp.

How about 2 piece vs. 4 piece any pros or cons there other than a shorter tube when its broken down? I'm used to 2 piece rods period and would be fine with that but it seems a lot of good ones are 4 pieces..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I like 2 piece because I am less likely to loose/forget a section. I find if I break a rod it’s the tip or joint so I am more trusting of a 2 piece even if it’s in my head

4 piece is nice the way it breaks down and if I am doing a trip that fishing is secondary I take my 4 piece. I often have my 4 in my truck all spring/summer for trying random spots as well

Really I like both lol

4 piece is awful handy just buy with a case.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I use a Sage 1 but also have a St. Croix that is just as good and is about 1/3 of the cost