Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Trail cams on crown land?

Re: Trail cams on crown land?

So far my two cams have been untouched. Knock on wood. We’ve hung cams at the gate a couple times to see who’s trespassing (you’d be amazed how many people don’t care about signs and gates), but 20 feet up and they’ve never been spotted.
    But as an aside, my coworker had some cameras taken on public land, a third camera caught the perps in their vehicle with his cams sitting on the dash and a clear view of the front plate. He went to the cops, they wouldn’t do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I know public land is exactly that - public and free for any users to use within the Law. See, I like to hunt where I believe there are no people hunting. I invest a fair bit of time once I decide on an area and I don't want to see any sign of humans in that immediate area. If I find "my" spot is getting other human traffic, I'll find another spot. It's not a big deal but I do get the sense of a lost investment and number of these spots has really diminished since I've come back into the hunt.
    I understand how you feel completely. I also have a couple of good spots that fortunately see very little traffic. I camp in a perfect spot in region 8 that holds a good sized population of elk, mule and wt. It is only about 200 yards off pavement on an FSR, but in 5 stays at this spot, I’ve only ever seen one other person actually stop and hunt, and two drive past. I do feel a sense of “ownership” of this spot, but if someone else is there, I have other spots to camp about 30 mins away. I do try to avoid busier spots as I find people (in general) tend to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I personally see the lack of respect coming from both sides of the fence. I don't run trail cameras or pop up blinds etc but I have encountered plenty of these things in the bush far away from the roads. It seems many people use these items as a way to stake their claim. If a blind or a trail cam is set up, others must just 'f off' and leave the area immediately. I have had hunters come at me for parking at the same trailhead. They were there first so the area is theirs. Funny thing is, who is to say who was first? I know a guy that saw a trail camera placed in an area he has hunted for 25 years. He did the moon salute as he triggered it. Turns out the owner of the camera got right pissed over that. My friend had no right to moon the camera and had no right to hunt that spot because it was obvious that another hunter was set up there. Really, true story. So, with the use of cameras, you can claim an area for yourself. All other hunters that hunt it are unethical dicks because that camera proves you were there first. Doesn't matter if you were still shitting yellow in your diaper when someone else was hunting it the old fashioned way. You put the modern technology there, you claimed it. It is yours.
    X2 feel exactly the same way..love your sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I personally see the lack of respect coming from both sides of the fence. I don't run trail cameras or pop up blinds etc but I have encountered plenty of these things in the bush far away from the roads. It seems many people use these items as a way to stake their claim. If a blind or a trail cam is set up, others must just 'f off' and leave the area immediately. I have had hunters come at me for parking at the same trailhead. They were there first so the area is theirs. Funny thing is, who is to say who was first? I know a guy that saw a trail camera placed in an area he has hunted for 25 years. He did the moon salute as he triggered it. Turns out the owner of the camera got right pissed over that. My friend had no right to moon the camera and had no right to hunt that spot because it was obvious that another hunter was set up there. Really, true story. So, with the use of cameras, you can claim an area for yourself. All other hunters that hunt it are unethical dicks because that camera proves you were there first. Doesn't matter if you were still shitting yellow in your diaper when someone else was hunting it the old fashioned way. You put the modern technology there, you claimed it. It is yours.
    Totally disagree. We own 80 acres in 6-04, we live on the island. I go up every May cut fire wood work on the property and cabin, i set out 9 cameras as this is the only way i can do some early scouting. I don't think where my cameras are is my area, i get off the beaten path to see what an area holds and when i go back up in early September i have some intell. If someone else is hunting or scouting the area, no big deal, its a big area room for everyone, well except for the local dick who was running people off the roads with his truck, spraying rocks at their trucks and yelling to gtf out of there as this is his area and his moose. So trail cams are all good just don't steal them when you find them.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I think its high time to regulate the use of trail cams....they need to be clearly marked identifying the owner and warning of their presence so other users can avoid being spied on if they so choose.

My vote is for an outright ban on their use, electronic surveillance has no place in sport hunting. Might as well legalize drones if trail cams are allowed.

Just like the guy above with 9 cams out....kinda turns the odds in his favour as to where to hunt without applying any skill as a hunter. Might as well just pay for a canned hunt and be done with it!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I think its high time to regulate the use of trail cams....they need to be clearly marked identifying the owner and warning of their presence so other users can avoid being spied on if they so choose.

My vote is for an outright ban on their use, electronic surveillance has no place in sport hunting. Might as well legalize drones if trail cams are allowed.

Just like the guy above with 9 cams out....kinda turns the odds in his favour as to where to hunt without applying any skill as a hunter. Might as well just pay for a canned hunt and be done with it!

Maybe you should by some they’re really fun i enjoy getting out there all year long to check the pictures. I often don’t hunt near my cameras i just like seeing’s pics of nice wildlife.
    Last edited by jac; 01-03-2019 at 10:05 AM.

The problem with your statement is it can be addressed to a lot of things. ATV and side by sides, range finders, bow releases, fibre optic sights, scopes above 4x (or any scope on a rifle), wind meters etc etc etc.

Where do you draw the line on what is considered unfair, how about the guns that can routinely shoot well past 500m.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

^^"A lot of things" Last time I checked, trail cam use did not directly result in lower wildlife numbers. Can't say the same for things like GOS on whitetail does, or rifle hunting in the rut...... if we're talking fair.

This is clearly a post from someone with no experience with trail cams and hates them because of some crazy theories

You do realize that getting a pic does not mean you will actually see that animal or even get another pic again. Even if you have multiple pics conditions may always be in the animals favour so they won’t show well your there. There is a ton of animals that may only pass through once or very rarely. You need skill to even find good locations to set them effectively and most fail here. Lots of guys actually check cams too often disturbing the animals making them more wary lowering their odds. Lots of guys get only night pics and will hunt the area anyway ignoring other areas lol

Getting a pic does not freeze that animal in place or lower their intelligence. i know a lot of guys who run some of their cams strictly to get pics with no plans of hunting the area. I actually do this with my kids. I only put 3 cams out this year and all were set up in hopes of catching species I had no plans of hunting

It is clear you have no idea on this subject and they just scare you

Cameras do very little in the way of helping someone actually harvest an animal. They only show a very tiny glimpse of what is actually in the area.

For example we usually see a dozen bears in any given year. We also see a dozen or so on the trailcams. I have only ever seen overlap between bears seen in person vs bears on the trailcam twice. One that I shot, and upon reviewing some footage from a year or two prior, I noticed I had shot a bear that was on the camera. Funny enough, that bear was a trailcam thief LOL. The other time there was overlap is the bear that charged me and snuck up on me while I was sleeping on another occasion. I have had 4 encounters with him in person and have him on camera twice. He didn't show up on cam in 2018 but I still bumped into him.

It's fun for wildlife viewing and perhaps gives a little inspiration, but that is all. Unless someone is running a dozen cellular cams and actively hunting based on notifications from the cams, they provide absolutely no advantage. Do you honestly think seeing a deer that walked by a month ago or even 3 days ago gives a hunter an advantage? And compare it with flying around a drone real time? You check your trailcam and see a big mature blacktail buck from 2 weeks ago and now there's no skill involved? LOL come on, be serious.

You know what piece of technology gives a hunter infinitely more advantage than trail cameras? A scope. Binoculars, spotting scopes, range finders, grunt tubes, can-calls, tree-stands, pop-up blinds, etc all give hunters 1000x more advantage than trail cameras. Unless you are going to take the position that all of those things should be "outright banned", I don't think your argument can be seen as viable.

Comparing cameras to drones, bringing skills into question going on about "canned hunts" really comes across as anti-hunting rhetoric. It's not much different than bow hunters who think rifle opportunities should be more limited, and traditional archery guys that think compound bows should not be allowed during bow season. Imagine if all these anti-gear guys had their way? We'd probably have a 5 day GOS season, traditional archery only.