Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail cams on crown land?

Re: Trail cams on crown land?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    With cell phones and how people use them trail cams are low on the list of ways you are going to have your pic taken without you wanting it
    Yes this is true....but some folks might like going for a walkabout to get away from all that stuff and maybe they dont want to unknowingly become entertainment for others.

I think the legal term is salvaging abandoned property on crown land...private property is a different story.

How do people think they can leave items on crown land for weeks and months on end and not think it will be messed with? Just like the guy puts up a tree stand and thinks he now has exclusive hunting rights to the area....bewildering!

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    So that makes it ok to steal stuff?

I find that most cams are put onto a stripped tree with no foliage so it sticks out.. maybe a few left branches or relocated ones would not make it as obvious..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I think the legal term is salvaging abandoned property on crown land...private property is a different story.

How do people think they can leave items on crown land for weeks and months on end and not think it will be messed with? Just like the guy puts up a tree stand and thinks he now has exclusive hunting rights to the area....bewildering!
    We had a guy salvage our "abandoned" blind chair a few weeks back. My wife tucked it behind a rock fire pit at the end of an FSR before running off in the treeline to drop an urgent #2. Less than 2 minutes and some guy drives up and swipes it. You'd figure the fact it was tucked away and the only remotely dry thing in miles that the owner was near by.

Pretty sure they saw me chasing them down the hill on foot too, but played dumb and didn't stop. That's how it looked from seeing them in their side mirror anyway. I was tempted to fire one in the dirt to make sure they heard me, but at the same time didn't want them to think some crazy dude was chasing and shooting at them LOL. Gave them the benefit of the doubt and didn't post up the plate, but I'll definitely be asking for her chair when we bump into them again though. She was pretty upset about it. First time she found a blind stool she could sit in for hours and be comfortable we haven't been able to find the same one.

Anyway just one example (that could have been an honest mistake) but no shortage other examples of sticky fingers types out there who like to pretend things are abandoned as self justification to make them feel better about being a dirty thief. "I came across it and didn't see anyone around... must be abandoned... yoink!".

Guessing a lot of the trailcams swiped with this justification have fresh salt in front of them and batteries at 90% too. I can't see too many expensive trailcams being truly abandoned. Someone is coming back for it. I can see someone maybe forgetting where it was, but that's a rare exception and I'd give the guy a good decade or so before I even thought about touching it.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-31-2018 at 03:57 PM.

So stealing or taking or borrowing those items is ok. If someone comes along and pulls my card and checks pics well good on them. Stealing is a different thing. I park my truck on crown land for a week when hiking I hope no one takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Yes, I remember when those dirty rotten bass turds gave their best attempt at getting that camera. It is always a risk placing our cameras on crown (and even private) land no matter how far off the beaten path we go. If someone wants our stuff bad enough they will get it. The best we can do is try and deter them.

Between guys attempting to steal our cameras, blinds etc., guys hunting over an established spot - oh and guys hanging tree stands 50yds away from your site (personal favourite) there seems to be no bar low enough for some people to go.
    No shortage of AssRats and Gut Pile hunters these days .
    Sad state of affairs in the hunting community .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Threads like this show the lack of respect some have for other hunters

degrads a little more each year

You are joking, right? It's not left at the side of a road or dropped in a ditch! It's strapped to a tree - a deliberate act! If it's not yours, leave it the f@ck alone!!! and that includes the card for that matter. If you want to see pics, put your own camera up. Have a great New Year.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

You just don't get it! No one said stealing is ok! Leaving your shyt on public land will always and always has had a high probability of it going missing....you have to be pretty dense not to understand that.

What the hell do parents teach their children these days? In the good old days when people where supposedly more trustworthy my grandfather taught us, if you want to keep your stuff safe for another day...put it the hell away when youre done with it and not around!

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    So stealing or taking or borrowing those items is ok. If someone comes along and pulls my card and checks pics well good on them. Stealing is a different thing. I park my truck on crown land for a week when hiking I hope no one takes it.

You just don't get it! No one said stealing is ok! Leaving your shyt on public land will always and always has had a high probability of it going missing....you have to be pretty dense not to understand that.

What the hell do parents teach their children these days? In the good old days when people where supposedly more trustworthy my grandfather taught us, if you want to keep your stuff safe for another day...put it the hell away when youre done with it and not around!
    Trail camera don’t work well when i put them away in the closet at home you need to leave on the trail. If I’m going to sit there and watch them then I don’t need them. It’s a risk i know leaving on crown land but if someone take a trail cam off a tree or a tree stand that stealing to me not salvage.