Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Trail cams on crown land?

Re: Trail cams on crown land?

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    The problem with your statement is it can be addressed to a lot of things. ATV and side by sides, range finders, bow releases, fibre optic sights, scopes above 4x (or any scope on a rifle), wind meters etc etc etc.

Where do you draw the line on what is considered unfair, how about the guns that can routinely shoot well past 500m.

BHB
    This is a legitimate point and perhaps a start for another thread. What is fair chase anymore and how much tech should allowed? From your list all I would have to do is go back to a 4x scope and my first gun was lever so maybe dig the old 30-30 out. Personally I don't want to use cams, don't really agree with them but they are legal so have at it, just wish it wasn't legal to put bait down in front of them. Look at some of the tech(scopes) stuff coming and the cost and shake my head. Maybe I should buy it all then ride my new quad into the alpine where my trail cam found a deer and shoot it with my long range adjusting for everything scope. Fair chase in my mind is becoming a thing of the past but That is just my opinion and we all know what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I think its high time to regulate the use of trail cams....they need to be clearly marked identifying the owner and warning of their presence so other users can avoid being spied on if they so choose.

My vote is for an outright ban on their use, electronic surveillance has no place in sport hunting. Might as well legalize drones if trail cams are allowed.

Just like the guy above with 9 cams out....kinda turns the odds in his favour as to where to hunt without applying any skill as a hunter. Might as well just pay for a canned hunt and be done with it!
    I'm in this camp. I understand that there are US states that prohibit them during hunting season...that is the least we should do. I'm talking crown land. Do as you wish on your own land.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    I'm in this camp. I understand that there are US states that prohibit them during hunting season...that is the least we should do. I'm talking crown land. Do as you wish on your own land.
    You do realize road hunting is banned in many states as well. There is way more laws against road hunting in way more locations then issues with trail cams these range from out and out road hunting ban to Alberta’s law of 15m from vehicle

way more of a universal ? of ethnics when it comes to road hunting then cam use.

Comparing trailcams to drones, suggesting they actually give an unfair advantage, take all the skill out of hunting and make it a "canned hunt".

HBC really needs a "I Support PETA" section for members who want to bash legal hunting activities and derail threads with ignorant nonsense.

I think its high time to regulate the use of trail cams....they need to be clearly marked identifying the owner and warning of their presence so other users can avoid being spied on if they so choose.

My vote is for an outright ban on their use, electronic surveillance has no place in sport hunting. Might as well legalize drones if trail cams are allowed.

Just like the guy above with 9 cams out....kinda turns the odds in his favour as to where to hunt without applying any skill as a hunter. Might as well just pay for a canned hunt and be done with it!
    im assuming you’re just stirring the pot/trolling, but..... I only own two cameras, I try to check them two or three times a year. Where I have the cameras it would be almost impossible to effectively hunt, it’s very thick with very limited visibility. I already knew there was game in the area, it’s kinda cool seeing how often individual animals come around and what’s in the area, and it’s something fun to do with my son that helps get him outside and stay interested in hunting/wildlife rather than video games

The funny thing is so many guys want to ban all these different things but the truth of the matter is most of the guys out there who knock down game time and time again don’t rely on this stuff. They tag game from a combination of skill and knowledge and nothing substations can be made for this. Yes some take part in these tactics as well but that is not the factor in their success

Guys need to worry less about another’s legal methods and focus on improving their own skill/knowledge. Warning though if you do this and your success goes up you will get those who ? your ethics and if they can’t find a target here they will claim you must be a poacher

Knocking you’re fellow hunters down won’t increase your success or protect your rights to hunt

Hopefully this is an attempt at a joke, otherwise, you my friend are smoking to much of JT's herb, oh by the way did i tell you we tipped over 4 bulls this season Have a good day.
    Last edited by Piperdown; 01-03-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I'm an avid trail cam user. If you followed my Vancouver Island archery elk thread that's obvious. I used 8 cameras over 4 months to scout and captured hundreds of elk pics, patterned bulls and herd movements. I have many pics of the bull I ended up shooting " that I shot less than 100 yards from a camera." Did trail cams help me, you bet your @#$$ they did. But I also speant countless hours behind a spotting scope, or wandering the bush scouting for wallows, rubs, bedding and feeding areas, observing wind patterns, thermals ........

What the trail cams failed do was run and arrow through an elk on day one, or two or so on. I was beaten for two weeks straight trying to put arrow in one before I succeeded. And the day I did, I made a 4 hour stalk that took me across a waste deep creek, crawling at a snails pace across 75 yard of open field to stay motionless and try to hide behind a rotten fence post freezing for an 90 minutes before I was lucky enough to get my shot.

My trail cams did help me for sure but they are no magic pill or guarantee of bagging an animal.

To each his own
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-03-2019 at 01:56 PM.

No my friend I'm dead serious, there is no place in sport hunting for trail cams....I tip over a moose every year for more than the last 40+ years...don't need a cam! LOL...whats the WE BS, a real hunter does it alone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Hopefully this is an attempt at a joke, otherwise, you my friend are smoking to much of JT's herb, oh by the way did i tell you we tipped over 4 bulls this season Have a good day.
    Last edited by hawk-i; 01-03-2019 at 08:20 PM.

No my friend I'm dead serious, there is no place in sport hunting for trail cams....I tip over a moose every year for more than the last 40+ years...don't need a cam!
    Please tell us what should be involved and not be involved in hunting?