Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain sleeping bag help

Re: Mountain sleeping bag help

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the -11 bag also. The later season hunts would be lower elevation close to home in Kamloops, so it should work fine most of the time there too.
    Did you end up going with the Taiga 1001 nights bag? What made you interested in this bag, opposed the the other ones that they have? Also looking at new bags, like the idea of shopping local...

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't watch this guys channel, but I thought his comments about using a sleeping bag liner and sleeping with his bag inside a bivvy inside his tent (bag info starts at 2:55). YMMV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXqrDM6Cc8E
    Thanks for sharing the vid - interesting idea to have a light bivy for inside the tent. I was wondering about down sleeping bags - I have always used synthetic fill bags (very heavy and take up a lot of pack space) as I spend most of time in the coastal mountains....lots of moisture. Down seems like a lighter way to go and it looks like lots of down bags have a water resistant shell - what do most of you guys use?

As for cold weather rating - I've found more of an issue with volume/pack space (vs weight) that the higher rated bags take up (probably more so from using synthetic fill bags)...that being said, I don't do overnight hunting trips so packing the weight of hunting gear hasn't been a concern. I like a lower (colder) rated bag...since if all my outerwear gets soaking wet I want to be able to jump in the sleeping bag sans coat and pants.

I haven't actually ordered a bag yet, still checking out various options and trying to decide. I like the roomier barrel shape of the 1001 Nights bag, although their Cloud 9 bag looks pretty slick too.

I tend to sleep pretty warm, so I'm still a bit on the fence on the temp. rating. The -18 bag may be a bit overkill for general use... thinking I might accomplish the same thing with the -11 bag and then add something like a Reactor Thermolite liner for cold weather and have a more versatile setup. I don't know.

My buddy turned me onto Enlightened Equipment and I bought their Revelation down sleeping quilt, regular bags i find now are too tight and just compress under your weight. I think its a -10 quilt and weighs about 24 oz and packs really small, probably the size of a large grapefruit. I use a ridge rest and a super light small bivy in a floorless Tipi tent. Like mentioned above I use a light down jacket with a hood (Hawkeye Co. I think) and it is like a sleeping bag itself. So far this system has worked well and I have yet to sleep in warm conditions. I always prepare for the worst. Last year was at 8000ft waking up to snow and I was nice and warm not wanting to get out of bed haha. So over all if you go with a lighter bag just get a light pack-able down jacket, heck get one anyways.

i run a mountain hardwear ghost whisperer its a 900 fill down bag and weights 1 lbs 12oz packs up super small its rated for -7*C atmosphere actually has them on sale right now as there last years model!

another good brand to look at would be feathered friends there out of Seattle but you will end up dropping a good amount for one of their bags.
    http://featheredfriends.com/

remember you can also get down filled sleeping pads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    I haven't actually ordered a bag yet, still checking out various options and trying to decide. I like the roomier barrel shape of the 1001 Nights bag, although their Cloud 9 bag looks pretty slick too.

I tend to sleep pretty warm, so I'm still a bit on the fence on the temp. rating. The -18 bag may be a bit overkill for general use... thinking I might accomplish the same thing with the -11 bag and then add something like a Reactor Thermolite liner for cold weather and have a more versatile setup. I don't know.
    Bag+liner is probably a good idea.