Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recent Calis

Re: Recent Calis

Question, can there be a difference between the actual age of a ram and the legal age of that ram as indicated by the annuli on the horns?
    How does one count an annulus or annuli that one can not see and how does one know before the shot that the regional manager's designee will count the same non-visible annulus or annuli???
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    Question, can there be a difference between the actual age of a ram and the legal age of that ram as indicated by the annuli on the horns?
    How does one count an annulus or annuli that one can not see and how does one know before the shot that the regional manager's designee will count the same non-visible annulus or annuli???
    You should never shoot a ram that does not have eight annuli. The inspectors will only count rings that they can see. If it has seven rings and one is broomed off it gets confiscated. Depending on the bio and his aging technique you may or may not get the ram back. Throw in a false ring and you can really get yourself in trouble.

the counting of rings is meant to harvest old Rams (+10 years), so even with a year broomed or two with a thinhorn, there should still be 8 rings to count. The counting of rings is not meant to be done on a younger sheep that may only be eight years old or with lamb tips. Besides just counting rings one should look at spacing between rings, body shape of the ram, pecking order in the band of Rams, knowing how horns grow in the area you are hunting etc etc. All of these will help with aging a ram.

never shoot based on ring counts unless you have aged and hunted sheep for years. Even then, every year I would bet there are Rams confiscated that were shot by seasoned sheep hunters.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Rams around here and Spences grow very large lamb tips. 6" inches some times. The local bio has only seen one ram that has broomed off his second year ( the horn looked more broken then broomed).

The ram in question has only broomed off his lamb tip. 8 countable rings and the missing lamb ring make this ram 9 years old.

Old ram for the area. Not sure why but I have never seen a 10 year plus ram locally even with the mild winters and living in town.

Bhb
    Interesting! Thus why I said I was no sheep expert. I figured a few sheep nuts would give more expertise to the subject.

Excellent pics, amazing animals, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    You should never shoot a ram that does not have eight annuli. The inspectors will only count rings that they can see. If it has seven rings and one is broomed off it gets confiscated. Depending on the bio and his aging technique you may or may not get the ram back. Throw in a false ring and you can really get yourself in trouble.

the counting of rings is meant to harvest old Rams (+10 years), so even with a year broomed or two with a thinhorn, there should still be 8 rings to count. The counting of rings is not meant to be done on a younger sheep that may only be eight years old or with lamb tips. Besides just counting rings one should look at spacing between rings, body shape of the ram, pecking order in the band of Rams, knowing how horns grow in the area you are hunting etc etc. All of these will help with aging a ram.

never shoot based on ring counts unless you have aged and hunted sheep for years. Even then, every year I would bet there are Rams confiscated that were shot by seasoned sheep hunters.

bhb
    Thank you! That was my point in asking the rhetorical question.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Dana do you use the manual settings on your camera while taking pictures or just leave it on automatic.
    Thanks