Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    The threadstarter doesn't want a Bird dog per se so why is everybody listing Birddog breeds?For a hunting companion any medium small to medium sized mix or purebred will do.Buying a bona fide hunting dog needs way more training and time due to their innate drive.

Rainer
    Did you check the title of the thread?" Non shedding hunting breeds? " Pretty much answers your question.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Not looking for a bird dog per-se but an outdoors companion dog that would do long hikes, some shed hunting stuff like that.

Appreciate the info! Thanks.
    I guess you missed this part.

Not looking for a bird dog per-se but an outdoors companion dog that would do long hikes, some shed hunting stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Did you check the title of the thread?" Non shedding hunting breeds? " Pretty much answers your question.
    A person shall also read what the threadstarter writes....it pretty much should answer all the questions,

Rainer

Has anyone said standard poodle yet? Non shedding, strong hunting heritage, although tough to find a working line these days. The one we had when I was a kid was a great dog.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

A German short haired pointer has always been a dog I've wanted but we simply cant have a large dog that sheds that much inside the house. Just not going to happen.
    A bagless vacuum is your friend. Even better if it comes with the "pet attachments".
    Oh and don't get chew toys that can roll under furniture. Dog will try to dig it out...
    Kongs are really good. They hold up well to the abuse and don't roll in a straight line (ie: under furniture). Plus you can fill them with treats to keep him occupied.
    Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    A bagless vacuum is your friend. Even better if it comes with the "pet attachments".
    Oh and don't get chew toys that can roll under furniture. Dog will try to dig it out...
    Kongs are really good. They hold up well to the abuse and don't roll in a straight line (ie: under furniture). Plus you can fill them with treats to keep him occupied.
    No. I'm not going around the house vacuuming twice a day to keep things clean. Besides, that stuff gets in your furniture, clothes, car seats ... everywhere. I'm just NOT going to deal with it, even if it means i never own a dog that I actually want. I just won't put up with that.

My gf has a tiny 7lb Havanese and that thing doesn't shed and my house looks exactly the same as before the dog moved in ..... no hair anywhere. It's fantastic.

Good advice above, though, we might decide for a poodle/airdale type of dog in the end.

Again, we did talk to 2 guys who have wirehaired pointers and they don't shed, supposedly. I'm going to have to look into the breeders they got them from as well since that seems like an excellent option too.

My gf has a tiny 7lb Havanese and that thing doesn't shed and my house looks exactly the same as before the dog moved in ..... no hair anywhere. It's fantastic.
    Sister and Brother In Law bred Havanese for a few decades, not my kind of dog but yes, not much to clean up after.
    We have Tollers and they shed enough in a week to knit a sweater with. We don't have any carpet and try to avoid fleece clothing.

Lots of good advice here. I'll just add a couple things.

As a life long dog owner usually a couple at a time the criteria for having a dog in a home where both people work can work. BUT whatever dog you zero in on read ALL the literature because there are most definitely dogs that will not do well at all in this situation. Please do your sanity and the dog a big favour and read the fine print as it where. There's tons of good info on any given breed on what they will like and thrive in and situations where the reverse is true.

Case in point we got a Catahoula Leopard dog last year. Very little shedding btw but don't even think of this breed in your situation. It was stated in the literature clearly that they're extremely high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise and they can not deal with being alone for long periods of time. They're working dogs used for herding (our dog's background) and hunting hogs actually where they come from in the deep south. If you don't have things for them to do, they're above average in intelligence and they'll make their own schedule for the day of what to do, and it won't end well. They'll dig, chew and generally wreck stuff if they're alone and stressed. I'm gaining ground with ours slowly but steadily but she's still by a long shot the highest maintenance dog I've ever been around, and absolutely needs an hour of off leash balls to the wall exercise daily or again, they'll make up their own schedule.

There are breeds that can do OK being alone all day, lots of breeds. But any dog from a working dog back ground in general will likely have problems. Again, read up on the breed and not just one source. Good luck with the search, and the journey.
    Last edited by Salty; 02-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I originally suggested GSP GWP simply because I know they are very capable dogs overall and because I REALLY like the way those dogs look.

I dont plan on getting into upland bird hunting so pointing isnt all that important to me.

Maybe you should look into a Finnish Spitz.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I have a standard poodle. I've not trained her for bird hunting, but I'm sure she could have been. I do bring her along on many of my hunts. So far she's been in on successful deer, elk, caribou black bear and grizzly hunts. Where she's useful to me is tracking. Her nose is incredible, and she finds wounded game with ease.

Poodles definitely have a negative stigma attached to them mostly because of their ridiculous show haircuts, but they are intelligent, highly trainable, and have fantastic impulse control.
    My poodle also found my deer, that due to rain i lost the blood trail. she has retrieved a few grouse too.
    Never trained but good to get out and about with her