Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Absolutely not, as long a you give the dog a good run/training twice a day they will be fine. I suggest an outside fenced run with a good kennel for the time you are at work, 6x14 with a concrete pad and roof will do nicely. Quality productive time and good exercise is what counts not the hours you are home(within reason).
    True that. There wouldn't be too many dogs out there, much less hunting dogs, if the criteria were to be home all the time.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    True that. There wouldn't be too many dogs out there, much less hunting dogs, if the criteria were to be home all the time.
    x2 .... it would basically just be retired people that own dogs. I don't know a single dog owner in my life that isn't away a minimum of 8 hrs per day for work.

Interaction with little ones is a must .... we had a German short hair pointer and a little girl at the time... you think your busy now ..... but it’s rewarding ... little children and dogs ... best thing ever !!!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    x2 .... it would basically just be retired people that own dogs. I don't know a single dog owner in my life that isn't away a minimum of 8 hrs per day for work.
    This is mostly true,,,you do what you can do but there are definitely breeds out there that can handle being away from their owners much, much better than others. When I did all my research on wire-haired pointing griffons the thing I saw over and over again was that they were not suited to families that had to keep them in a kennel for long periods of time or for people who could not keep them active and mentally stimulated on a daily basis.

This is why I waited until I retired to get one. In fact, I waited 12 years before getting another pup knowing I didn't have the time to properly care for one and train her the way I wanted to. I'm on a couple of different griff web sites and I hear of the social and behaviour issues these dogs will have when left alone for long periods of time in a crate or dog run on their own and how long it takes to house break them. Many of them have to be re-homed. I'm always surprised to hear the issues that can occur. I can't believe how well my pup turned out because of the daily interaction what with me being around her for most of the day.

She was house broken in 2 1/2 weeks, has yet to destroy any household items, chew any shoes or other clothes, or swallow things she shouldn't. A tired, mentally stimulated dog is a well behaved dog. Haven't had vet bills yet except for spaying and her annual vaccinations. Other griff owners have said the exact opposite likely because their dogs are not exercised enough or have been left on their lonesome throughout the day.

Because of the time I've spent with her in the early stages of her life I can leave her for 5-6 hours at a time with the run of the house and never have to worry that she'll get into mischief because she knows I'll be running her at some point in the day. It's rare that I'm away from her for more than 3-4 hours, though.

There are lots of other hunting breeds that do not require the same man hours when it comes to companionship as a griff. I'd recommend one of those. Griffs are just too high on the energy scale for a lot of people. I know of two owners that have both a griff, who's a few years older than their lab, and they both say the energy level of the griff is three times higher than their lab.

I think for your case, any of the retrievers or spaniels might be a better fit, if you're looking for a hunting dog. I used to leave my britts on their own for longer periods of time. Of course, all these dogs shed a lot. The versatiles tend to need more people time throughout the day,,,,probably not a good choice. As far as other breeds go, I wouldn't have a clue. I've only ever owned dogs that hunt; those that don't are just cats that bark. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Absolutely not, as long a you give the dog a good run/training twice a day they will be fine. I suggest an outside fenced run with a good kennel for the time you are at work, 6x14 with a concrete pad and roof will do nicely. Quality productive time and good exercise is what counts not the hours you are home(within reason).
    Not really a matter of what you, or I think rather what the dog thinks. Lots of dog owners that should not be. I see it every day.

Well Lowball I guess after 60 yrs of owning training, breeding and hunting, quality Lab. Cocker Golden and Springer gundogs my thoughts and experience don't really mean anything. Sorry for Trying to a helpful answer to a question of a potential new dog owner with what I have learned by interacting with dogs literally all my life. Far better to be home 365/24/7 and leave your dog chained up in the back yard all the time. BUT at least you will not be away from home. Lab Guy, what say you??
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I figure about the best way to figure out if you've got a happy, stimulated, well behaved dog is to leave it at home on it's own for the better part of a day with free run of the house. If the dog isn't frustrated, under exercised, and has obedience training you should come home to a house the same way you left it. On the other hand, if you come home to any of these,,,,,,,,ripped up couch cushions, chewed on furniture, toilet tissue everywhere, pee on the carpet or bed, or any other household destruction than chances are you have an unhappy, bored dog that lacks exercise and training and is venting its frustrations.

Of course this is just an observation I have with the three birds dogs I've owned. I don't have have anywhere near Foxton's experience, especially with the breeds he's bred, trained, and dealt with. Mine is only with the versatile hunting breeds which may behave a little differently than the retrievers and flushers.

chill boys.... The poodle does everything...

Cocker Spaniel . Excellent companions and little to non existent shedding .

Quote Originally Posted by polar View Post
    chill boys.... The poodle does everything...
    Never seen one point upland birds before.