Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

No your right there Brent, but one named O'Malley I used to shoot over may years back was a hell of a flushing dog.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 5jackz View Post
    Cocker Spaniel . Excellent companions and little to non existent shedding .
    Not sure what strain of Cocker you have had but the English Cockers we raised were walking hair storms. lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I have a standard poodle. I've not trained her for bird hunting, but I'm sure she could have been. I do bring her along on many of my hunts. So far she's been in on successful deer, elk, caribou black bear and grizzly hunts. Where she's useful to me is tracking. Her nose is incredible, and she finds wounded game with ease.

Poodles definitely have a negative stigma attached to them mostly because of their ridiculous show haircuts, but they are intelligent, highly trainable, and have fantastic impulse control.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Norwegian Elkhounds. Someone once told me that they didn't shed. Then clarified that later saying that they only shed twice a year, for 6 months at a time. That said I have a 32 month old female and just added a 14 week old male. Great dogs, faithful, intelligent, hardy, stubborn at times but they are great companions around the house and up in the mountains. I just have to vacuum their parts of the house every morning to prevent the hair bunnies from taking over. Takes about 15 minutes. Doing that you can barely tell that there are dogs in the house.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Tony J Peterson wrote a really informative article in Gun Dog magazine on hunting Poodles in the June/July 2018 edition. He writes quite highly of Rich and Angie Louter of Louter Creek Hunting Poodles (redhuntingpoodles.com). In the article he writes that the Standard Poodles are hypoallergenic but doesn't say anything about shedding. With shedding dogs you have to have a Dyson Vac., speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Tony J Peterson wrote a really informative article in Gun Dog magazine on hunting Poodles in the June/July 2018 edition. He writes quite highly of Rich and Angie Louter of Louter Creek Hunting Poodles (redhuntingpoodles.com). In the article he writes that the Standard Poodles are hypoallergenic but doesn't say anything about shedding. With shedding dogs you have to have a Dyson Vac., speaking from experience.
    Poodles don't shed. The trade-off is they require a haircut about every two months or they look like a sheep
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

The threadstarter doesn't want a Bird dog per se so why is everybody listing Birddog breeds?For a hunting companion any medium small to medium sized mix or purebred will do.Buying a bona fide hunting dog needs way more training and time due to their innate drive.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    The threadstarter doesn't want a Bird dog per se so why is everybody listing Birddog breeds?For a hunting companion any medium small to medium sized mix or purebred will do.Buying a bona fide hunting dog needs way more training and time due to their innate drive.

Rainer
    'cause he was talking GWPs and GSPs, so most of us assume that he'd be somewhat interested in birds. If not, you are correct, any cheap proven poodle cross would do
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

We have a 1year old Pudelpointer.

I have dog allergies.. this pup and me can nap on the couch for hours and it doesn't bother me one bit. Next to no shedding either. Tons of natural drive and great versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    We have a 1year old Pudelpointer.

I have dog allergies.. this pup and me can nap on the couch for hours and it doesn't bother me one bit. Next to no shedding either. Tons of natural drive and great versatility.

In terms of a pudelpointer's coat, I think they are a lot like griffs in that regard. Some owners of these breeds say their dogs shed minimally like you and me with our dogs. That being said, I've talked to a few PP owners who said their dog sheds so much they could make a second dog. Heard the same thing about griffs from various owners. It obviously comes down to the breeding. In any event, I'm sure glad mine doesn't shed much since she's on the couch or the back seat of my truck all the time.

Got any photos of your PP?