Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Not sure what strain of Cocker you have had but the English Cockers we raised were walking hair storms. lol
    American Cocker Spaniel - smaller than the English Springer spaniel . Has a shorter snout as well . My wife would trim her coat about every 5 weeks . Beautiful dog but had to be put down at only 6 1/2 years of age due to cancer .

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    A few years ago I took my two lab/bloodhound females up for an offleash redneck dogwalk (I stay in truck, they run) in the Squamish Valley. They don't play nicely with other dogs, so their only opportunity for off-leash exercise is when we aren't likely to encounter anyone else. I saw a huge dog coming down the road toward us and I figured I was about to see a dog fight then realized I was looking at a wolf. I jumped out my door and opened the back door and called both dogs. Usually their recall is terrible (hounds are stubborn) but as luck would have it they jumped right in. No sooner did I close both doors on the truck that the woods around us erupted into wolf howls. They were minutes away from a very nasty encounter with a pack of wolves that didn't seem to give two shits about the smell or sight of me or my truck.

I tell that story to demonstrate it can happen but I know the odds are very thin and I've never considered keeping them on a leash since for their own safety. If I see fresh sign or hear them in the near distance that is different, but shed hunting or bird hunting I would never consider keeping them leashed. I've seen a lone wolf and have pictures of a cougar on my trail cam up near my cabin but the dogs are always off leash up there.
    I do the same thing, walk my dog in the bush, but not with the truck. I go up a forest service road or into a old logging slash, lots for the dog to sniff and piss on. I always pack my bear spray just in case. My dog wears an E collar and is whistle trained, comes to the whistle on recall. I'v never had a problem, but you can't be too careful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5jackz View Post
    American Cocker Spaniel - smaller than the English Springer spaniel . Has a shorter snout as well . My wife would trim her coat about every 5 weeks . Beautiful dog but had to be put down at only 6 1/2 years of age due to cancer .
    There are two lines and two distinct types of Cockers. English Cockers and American Cockers. These come in both field and show variety. English Cockers closely resemble English Springers where as the American Cocker Field Bred are closer to the English Breed and the American Cocker Show dogs are as you describe.

English Cocker (Field)

English Cocker (Show Bred)

American Cocker (Field Bred)

American Cocker (Show Bred)

This on shedding from The Kennel Club

Shedding. Cocker Spaniels shed a LOT. Make sure you don't mind hair on your clothing and furnishings.
    Last edited by Cedar Cowgirl; 01-03-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly right.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Them show dogs look pretty prissy! Do they ever go outside in the muck and rain? LOL

Here's my pig pen, stuck ass deep in mud, going for a drink of water:

IMG_0347 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-03-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    .....Got any photos of your PP?
    Please do not post pictures of your PP on this forum... feel free to PM each other.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Please do not post pictures of your PP on this forum... feel free to PM each other.
    LMAO....... now that was hilarious

My buddy's wife took a photo of his and he asked her, all smug and like, what her plans were for it. She said she was going to have it enlarged! Shut him up. LOL

Got a laugh outta me!

I have an Airedale...great dog and very birdie and very interested in deer etc. just like every other dog. The difference is its a very low shed, great fun dog and family pet but not hard wired like GSPs etc. I got it from breeder who raises them for hunting and agility. He trains them for birds from about 3 weeks old by putting chukar feathers in their beds, introducing the birds to them at about 5 weeks old, having them chase and play with birds in an enclosed kennel. I couldn't be happier with my dog. Will be getting it trained to find and retrieve birds and sheds, as well as (on leash of course) point out big game and then track. Puppy is 9 mos right now and obedience going well.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER