Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    Airedales do not shed, they make good companions and are tough.

The first two years are a challenge with them, they require a kind firm hand.

We have had 3 and will probably get another in the spring.
    A lady and husband I rented off from Valley they owned Airedales for years actulley owned that property at tamihi bridge 45 or 50 acres from what I remember , they told me how amazing they was for chasing bears zero fear in them . But they also stated some require alot of work
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    In terms of a pudelpointer's coat, I think they are a lot like griffs in that regard. Some owners of these breeds say their dogs shed minimally like you and me with our dogs. That being said, I've talked to a few PP owners who said their dog sheds so much they could make a second dog. Heard the same thing about griffs from various owners. It obviously comes down to the breeding. In any event, I'm sure glad mine doesn't shed much since she's on the couch or the back seat of my truck all the time.

Got any photos of your PP?
    Me too!

Trying to post a photo but can't figure it out. You might have seen puppy photos on BSBC (TNOF now) when I first got him (my other forum tag CF8889).

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    Airedales do not shed, they make good companions and are tough.

The first two years are a challenge with them, they require a kind firm hand.

We have had 3 and will probably get another in the spring.
    got a breeder you can recommend? did you hunt with them?

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I had no idea poodles were as popular as this thread would make it seem. You're right... their ridiculous show haircuts do them absolutely no favors in being taken seriously as anything but a pampered house dog.

I do know they are highly intelligent. They've always done right up there with German shepard's and border collies on intelligence tests.

I originally suggested GSP GWP simply because I know they are very capable dogs overall and because I REALLY like the way those dogs look.

I dont plan on getting into upland bird hunting so pointing isnt all that important to me.

Do you guys shed hunt with your dogs? I know many would be reluctant to unleash their dogs in wolf country but how about areas where there are only bears, coyotes and cougars? Do you feel comfortable unleashing the dog for shed hunting or does everyone keep them on a leash at all times?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I had no idea poodles were as popular as this thread would make it seem. You're right... their ridiculous show haircuts do them absolutely no favors in being taken seriously as anything but a pampered house dog.

I do know they are highly intelligent. They've always done right up there with German shepard's and border collies on intelligence tests.

I originally suggested GSP GWP simply because I know they are very capable dogs overall and because I REALLY like the way those dogs look.

I dont plan on getting into upland bird hunting so pointing isnt all that important to me.

Do you guys shed hunt with your dogs? I know many would be reluctant to unleash their dogs in wolf country but how about areas where there are only bears, coyotes and cougars? Do you feel comfortable unleashing the dog for shed hunting or does everyone keep them on a leash at all times?
    I shed hunt, hike, mountain bike, snowshoe with my dog off leash all the time. But my dog almost always stays within sight, and recalls 100% of the time. That doesn’t mean bad things couldn’t happen,but it’s unlikely.

When researching breeds, talk to breeders about off leash adventures. Some breeds are not trustworthy off leash, and having to use a leash every time you’re hiking would be a major pain imo.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Our guy is off leash any chance we get. Start em young and do not slack on recall training.

We spent a few days winter camping over the Christmas holidays. He just hung around camp and sniffed for birds when we were hiking. Never on a leash.

A few years ago I took my two lab/bloodhound females up for an offleash redneck dogwalk (I stay in truck, they run) in the Squamish Valley. They don't play nicely with other dogs, so their only opportunity for off-leash exercise is when we aren't likely to encounter anyone else. I saw a huge dog coming down the road toward us and I figured I was about to see a dog fight then realized I was looking at a wolf. I jumped out my door and opened the back door and called both dogs. Usually their recall is terrible (hounds are stubborn) but as luck would have it they jumped right in. No sooner did I close both doors on the truck that the woods around us erupted into wolf howls. They were minutes away from a very nasty encounter with a pack of wolves that didn't seem to give two shits about the smell or sight of me or my truck.

I tell that story to demonstrate it can happen but I know the odds are very thin and I've never considered keeping them on a leash since for their own safety. If I see fresh sign or hear them in the near distance that is different, but shed hunting or bird hunting I would never consider keeping them leashed. I've seen a lone wolf and have pictures of a cougar on my trail cam up near my cabin but the dogs are always off leash up there.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa Joe View Post
    Norwegian Elkhounds. Someone once told me that they didn't shed. Then clarified that later saying that they only shed twice a year, for 6 months at a time. That said I have a 32 month old female and just added a 14 week old male. Great dogs, faithful, intelligent, hardy, stubborn at times but they are great companions around the house and up in the mountains. I just have to vacuum their parts of the house every morning to prevent the hair bunnies from taking over. Takes about 15 minutes. Doing that you can barely tell that there are dogs in the house.
    You never notice when they are outside dogs lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    You never notice when they are outside dogs lol
    The thing is outside dogs are never the true companions that inside dogs are ,,,,that is unless you spend just about all your time outside.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

In Dave's defense his first Elkhound stayed primarily outside because they were on the Sunshine Coast and had a larger property, so he was not totally aware of the shedding. Now that he is in the Lower Wasteland, along with me, the dogs spend a fair deal of their time indoors. Elkhounds are equally in their element indoors and out. They love to cuddle and are incredibly entertaining when in the outdoors, especially if there is snow. I just made the post because we have a running joke hat Elkhounds don't shed.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.