Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Non shedding hunting breeds?

A fella on IG was telling me his German wirehaired pointer is non shedding but I'm not sure if they all are or just his. Internet seems to say that they do shed.

Anyone have any more first hand info or know of any other hunting breeds that do not shed?

A German short haired pointer has always been a dog I've wanted but we simply cant have a large dog that sheds that much inside the house. Just not going to happen.

Not looking for a bird dog per-se but an outdoors companion dog that would do long hikes, some shed hunting stuff like that.

Appreciate the info! Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Non shedding hunting breeds?

Well my mutt is GWP x lab and dust bunnies are just a way of life!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Does anyone still breed hunting poodles?
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Airedales do not shed, they make good companions and are tough.

The first two years are a challenge with them, they require a kind firm hand.

We have had 3 and will probably get another in the spring.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

My griff sheds minimally,,,probably would be less if I brushed her more than once a month but it must depend on the breeder's dogs because I've heard of some that have coats that shed and the hair has a tendency to matt. Mine dog's hair doesn't matt so in that regard she's very low maintenance. Super versatile dogs!

But if you decide on a griff be prepared to exercise the dog and get them off leash for at least an hour a day,,,more is better! And they like companionship,,,,not a dog to be left at home all day while their people are off at work. It's not fair to the dogs of this breed.

0-23 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

IMG_1441 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

If you're not going to hunt the dog get one of the third generation doodles,,,,,supposedly they're non shedders. Portuguese water dogs don't shed either and they like the great outdoors.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 12-30-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Iv got a first generation labradoodle.....when hes shaved I dont notice much hair in the house, in the winter we dont shave him and he sheds a bit. From what a gather the second gen dogs dont shed.
    As far as a hunting dog, I didnt know what to expect. But I have been plesently surprised. Great drive and nose for upland birds, and lots of energy to go. Hes 1 1/2 now and we were successful on a couple pheasents and some grouse this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    My griff sheds minimally,,,probably would be less if I brushed her more than once a month but it must depend on the breeder's dogs because I've heard of some that have coats that shed and the hair has a tendency to matt. Mine dog's hair doesn't matt so in that regard she's very low maintenance. Super versatile dogs!

But if you decide on a griff be prepared to exercise the dog and get them off leash for at least an hour a day,,,more is better! And they like companionship,,,,not a dog to be left at home all day while their people are off at work. It's not fair to the dogs of this breed.

0-23 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

IMG_1441 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

If you're not going to hunt the dog get one of the third generation doodles,,,,,supposedly they're non shedders. Portuguese water dogs don't shed either and they like the great outdoors.
    Thanks for the info. We both work your standard 9-5, not much i can do about that. Certainly not bringing the dog to the office with me lol.

Great looking dog. Looks like a good worker. Thanks for sharing

Poodle crossed with Labs or Goldens is a crap shoot, when you mix genes you never know what you will get until they mature. I met a lady with a lab golden cross at the ferry once her dog looked like a Chessy/GWP cross when I talked to her she explained it was a "Labradoodle"(I use the word grudgingly) She bought the dog for her husband as a non shedding hypo allergenic retriever. The dog she says sheds like crazy, there allergic daughter can't go near it, it hates water and won't retrieve even a tennis ball. When you put a bunch of genes in a blender and turn it on you never know how the mix will come out. If someone wants a non shedding hypo allergenic Gundog the only sure bet is a working Poodle. Google "Hunting Poodles"

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Thanks for the info. We both work your standard 9-5, not much i can do about that. Certainly not bringing the dog to the office with me lol.

Great looking dog. Looks like a good worker. Thanks for sharing
    Your probably not in a good situation to keep a dog at the moment then. In my opinion, that is too long to leave a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by lowball View Post
    Your probably not in a good situation to keep a dog at the moment then. In my opinion, that is too long to leave a dog!
    Absolutely not, as long a you give the dog a good run/training twice a day they will be fine. I suggest an outside fenced run with a good kennel for the time you are at work, 6x14 with a concrete pad and roof will do nicely. Quality productive time and good exercise is what counts not the hours you are home(within reason).
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.