Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Interesting2018 Harvest Survey

Re: Interesting2018 Harvest Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I have no clue why they wouldnt make a harvest report for all species that you hunted in a year. No reason to do a random sampling of 2 species for a guy who has a pocket full of tags. It seems like a lost opportunity personally.....

I'd much rather do the report for everything, it takes an extra 2-3 minutes at most anyways
    X2 so true they mailed you the questionnaire so why not make it for all big game animals
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

My thoughts the reason the management is asking regarding wolves is they want to know if wolves are in all regions in BC and if you shot a wolf this calendar year its a mandatory inspection in some regions for wolves if you shoot one,, it's the first year that I have ever got the questionnaire on game birds Its also first time ever got this BC resident credential with the questionnaire ..

Last edited by hunter1947; 01-01-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

JMO. The system is BS. With the new tag system couldn't they figure a way to let us cancel our tags online and therefore not have to carry our cancelled tags. This would then save a small forest and give them an accurate count of what gets killed. But what am I thinking common sense and government bureaucracy do not go hand in hand.

I have no issues with the electonic system. Carrying tags including cancelled tags is no different than carrying the old paper booklet. The verification of residency should be an annual requirement rather than every 3 years. Likely some opportunity to integrate the electronic survey as part of annual requirement....would make sense to have it all in same place and agree it should be for all species.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    The incidental kills are important. I think they can impact regulatory decisions. I suspect, online, all inclusive reporting is likely coming in the next few years. It takes time and money to develop it.

I recently learned quite a few hunters add an additional page of information to their questionnaire. Providing their comments on wildlife numbers and ideas for regulation change or wildlife management. Surprisingly, Government staff are reading these adendums provided by hunters and summarize the additional information.
    I write on mine every year asking them to quit sending me these surveys, but seem to still get them. I have discussed with a Bio on how these surveys work and he said mine are probable throwing out anyway because of the number of days hunted.

So if they throw yours away are they picking and choosing to get the results they want. I'm one of the lucky ones that seems to get picked every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuritau View Post
    I bought 5 tags this year, only one of which was mule deer. My survey only asked about mule deer.

That's dumb.
    Same here in the mailout, but went online to fill in the survey and there was all the species

Maybe we need to start an HBC member hunt/angle survey, to be able to capture everyones efforts and success
    That would build a large concise data base that could be submitted for the Govt to use if they chose to.
    Trusting it would be factual, of course..........
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    I have no issues with the electonic system. Carrying tags including cancelled tags is no different than carrying the old paper booklet. The verification of residency should be an annual requirement rather than every 3 years. Likely some opportunity to integrate the electronic survey as part of annual requirement....would make sense to have it all in same place and agree it should be for all species.
    I agree.....

received mine, was asked about moose, elk, wolf and game birds
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Seems like the ?Ministry does need to revisit this in my opinion.
    This system has been in place for a long time, and I cant see how accurate the information we are giving them is really going to help.
    Should be more thorough and for all species we have purchased tags for, and those like they did ask for, like wolf and game birds.
    I guess they never ask about rabbits (maybe not a great concern I suppose?)