Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting2018 Harvest Survey

Re: Interesting2018 Harvest Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    They want to know about wolf because if people are killing lots of wolves it means there’s a surplus of wolves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    I think they want to know about wolves so they can figure out if they should sell tags for them. With any government endeavor its either votes or money, The actual wants or needs of the public is not important.
    Both good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Retired View Post
    It's called "statistical math", or "statistics", in college. It was the most counter-intuitive math that I ever had to learn! But, once I did learn it, I understood it, and now I do not question it. I do question how hunters are responding though, especially about the wolf question. I hope you all realize that every day you are out with a rifle and a licence, you are hunting wolf! (I would assume that you would all shoot a wolf if you saw one). And so, that is the statistics that they are looking for!
    I think most people would, but I doubt many "go looking for wolf".
    Did I hunt wolf, nope.
    Had I seen one or more, yup, bullets flying.
    So how does one really answer that survey question??
    I said "no" (N/A).

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Doesn’t matter....decisions now based on public opinion anyway
    THIS!!!
    Wonder why Whorgun and Dream Weaver even bother having any researchers or biologists!! Don't listen to them any way!!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

The survey I received only asked about the species for which I had tags. Nothing about wolves or birds.

Conversation we had with a bio a number of years ago:

You should increase the bag limit and season for wolves, there are lots of them! Lots are getting shot the past couple of years!

"We have asked that wolf kills get reported so we can get a better handle on the numbers to better manage the seasons, but everyone is suspicious that if they tell us they are killing wolves we will close the season, so they don't report it. So as far as our data shows, nobody is killing wolves, so there isn't a surplus of wolves, so no incentive to expand seasons or bag limits."

That's off of memory but it was basically the conversation.

Hunters conjure up all sorts of reasons to not share accurate harvest information. I think most of them don't understand how the data is interpreted.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Or they do Gate!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I got mine in the mail last week. The 3 animals I was asked about were moose, elk and WT. I didn't shoot a moose or elk, but was successful with a 3x3 mulie and 2x2 WT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Conversation we had with a bio a number of years ago:

You should increase the bag limit and season for wolves, there are lots of them! Lots are getting shot the past couple of years!

"We have asked that wolf kills get reported so we can get a better handle on the numbers to better manage the seasons, but everyone is suspicious that if they tell us they are killing wolves we will close the season, so they don't report it. So as far as our data shows, nobody is killing wolves, so there isn't a surplus of wolves, so no incentive to expand seasons or bag limits."

That's off of memory but it was basically the conversation.

Hunters conjure up all sorts of reasons to not share accurate harvest information. I think most of them don't understand how the data is interpreted.
    The bag limit on wolves is a joke.
    The best guys I know are able to shoot less than 10 a year.
    Good trappers I know, get less than 20.

The super-hardcore, foxpro, full-camo, face-paint, varmint-rifle, TimPortance on the way there guys; never get more than 3 a year. Wolves aren't easy to fool.

And yet nobody can go down a road that isn't packed down with fresh wolf tracks, and no ungulate tracks.

But boiling down to the point of your post.. If we all said we shot 50 a year, you think they would do more to reduce the wolf numbers?
    I'm thinking they'd throttle back the NBL 365d/y

Shooting a wolf isn't as easy as shooting an ungulate in the rut, which is what most BC hunters concentrate on.

A very strange random sampling, I bought tags for MD, WT, Moose and Elk. WT was a "just in case tag", guess what my questionnaire asked? Yep, WT, how could they possibly extrapolate anything outta these random samplings? K

had a pocket full of tags but the questionnaire they sent only asked about Moose, in past years there was always 2 to 3 animals.