Many have been hunting for quite a long time but i'm sure you all will remember your first cut tag. I see lots of new hunters commenting on not seeing much or having little success so before you get discouraged its good to know it will happen.

So to get it started, I did my Core Hunter Training in 1979 when i was 13 and living in Kelowna. Due to the course being in the fall the first season was a bit of a write off. But i had my very own 303 British to hunt with thanks to Bill Treadgold.
Couple years later i got a mule deer LEH for buck in 8-11 which was closed to GOS for several years prior to try and build the deer numbers up - but i went dry again.
Family business and hockey took time during the fall which really limited hunting so until i got a bit older i started to go on my own.
1985 i was 19 and weekends were occupied by hormones and stupidity which went hand in hand for several years but still did some hunting whenever we could.
One night in November after the bar closed we gathered up our gear and sober friend and headed up Bear Main until we figured a couple hours of sleep were in order and you can imagine 3 of us in a single cab truck in November was rather cozy. We woke up to find fresh snow and it already light out and quite a few minutes of trying to figure out where we were (and how we got there) we decided a drive into a few spots would be the best choice.
After stopping for a rather loud bathroom break (Blame hot dog stand outside bar)which my friends figured out which way the wind was blowing - we were underway and not even 100yds down the road was a 2pt mule buck trotting parallel to us about 50yds off the road - 2 quick shots and i had my first buck. Finally success in cutting a tag!!!!
We couldn't believe the amount of noise we just made and laughing/talking and all along this deer was within 100yds of us and didn't spook away!!!
Since then i've been lucky getting my game and usually always have meat in the freezer every year. I live in the lower mainland now and its not as easy to get out often during the season so when i do get out i try to make it count.
Compared to my son and skip ahead 25yrs on his first season / first hunt we got him onto a 2pt mule deer as well when he was about 13 as well and by the time he was 19 he had MD /WT/Elk already.