Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Person, 4 Season Tents

2 Person, 4 Season Tents

Hello,

Looking to buy a new 4 season tent to use next hunting season. Was wondering if anyone has tried the MEC tent - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-5...-4-Season-Tent . Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions.

Also, any recommendations for a bag type (synthetic or down) and what I should be looking at to be able to withstand weather from around 0 down to -15 or -20 in BC.

I'll be taking all of the above in a backpack so weight and ability to pack is important.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Person, 4 Season Tents

Hmm highly recomend mountain hardware..I have a 4 season tent..and sheep lightweight..both have been flawless.
    cheers
    Steven
    Go synthetic for bag..but still warm if it gets wet

I’m looking for a tent for our up coming sheep also. There is a tent on amazon called nature hike it’s a copy of the big Agnes fly creek has good reviews and price. I bought a Sierra design down back country bed sleeping bag and it’s really nice and lite

I used to have a MEC Gothic Arch tent and synthetic -12° MEC mummy bag (and not even from their high end range). I did a camp out at Big White early one February using both, and several snow cave camps again at Big White with the bag. Only time I was ever cold was the one time I built the snow cave wrong, lol.

The only thing I didn't like about the Gothic Arch tent was that it wasn't a free-standing dome. If you didn't peg and string it, it collapsed flat. Other than that one design flaw, it was an amazing tent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a MEC tent again.

What is your REALISTIC budget, I have considerable experience with gear of this kind and can offer some ideas. The best gear IS worth the costs IF you use it every year for a long period.

Hilleberg. Buy once, cry once.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    What is your REALISTIC budget, I have considerable experience with gear of this kind and can offer some ideas. The best gear IS worth the costs IF you use it every year for a long period.
    I will as always agree with Dewey.period.however his pockets are far deeper than mine..lol with that comes incredible knowledge.
    Cheers
    Steven

Get a down bag. Nothing is warmer or lighter. The high end stuff will have waterproof material or hydrophobic down.

For a tent, I would like to ideally spend between $500 - $700. I looked at the Mountain Hardware Access tent and then found the MEC which seemed to have good reviews. I'm looking at 2 person tents but would likely be staying in it alone during hunting season to have a bit of extra space.

I'm not opposed to spending more if there is a major difference in performance and I feel it is good value. This will be my first season where I do overnight backpacking trips where I can't bring a trailer in or set up base camp outside of my truck.

I've been running the MSR remote 3, 4-person tent, this year and it's been awesome for two guys. A bit extra weight but worth the extra room if you're not solo. They also make a remote 2 person... It's expensive but bomb-proof
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com