Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Person, 4 Season Tents

Re: 2 Person, 4 Season Tents

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm disagree..lol..most important is reliable tent..wont leak...or rip...flying in for sheep..getting wet is a disaster, and you can count on wind.if your tent leaks..which sleeping bag becomes more a moot point ?
    I have a 2 person mountain hardware tent..approx 2 pounds..not going to do much better than that I expect.
    The 2 person is not sized for 2 folks my size.lbut is for 2 average sized guys..or better yet guy and gal.
    The materials have changed 10d..20 d..no experience with this material..
    In 15 years using 2 different tents by mountain hardware..not 1 drop of water..and using a Hillenberg..which developed condensation issues. .my fault? Or tent..
    My 4 season tent had 1 foot of snow on top. .no issues..
    I usually sleep warmer..built in insulation..R..20...have 4 different sleeping bags?.3 which are light weight sheep camp tents..I believe my go to sleeping bag is also a mountsin hardware
    Steven
    Which mountain hardware tent?
    I have a MH two person and it's nowhere near 2 lbs. I'd really like to know which one you have that is 2lbs ....

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    My bivy is gortex made by tiaga. Nothing but a wet bag by morning. Not worth the money. Thats just my experience.
    I have used a tarp for years. Way more comfortable than a bivy. Remember the weather can change in an instant in the mountains. Snow or rain and a bivy will = you going home early.
    What bivy model? Do you have a pic?
    I'm curious why you had condensation. The gore tex should breathe well enough to let it all escape when a person is at rest. Are you maybe breathing in/out into the bivy and creating condensation that way?

I use a Mountain Hardware waterproof sleeping bag and all the perspiration generated throughout the night escapes just fine. And I dont think the MH breathable fabric breathes as well as gore tex.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-r View Post
    Ya ive read some bivy reviews that discuss condensation problems, but moreso when one is breathing inside the zippered up bivy, and also with bivy's that were not breathable goretex. I was thinking of leaving the bivy open at the head, keeping my breath outside, wear a toque, and combining the tarp overhead for weather protection.
    This is my Bivy set up below, it's an Outdoor Research Bivy Shelter which comes with a small pole which creates an arc over your head, there's also enough room inside for some storage as well, most of the condensation will be over your head on the mesh. I've Winter camped with this and my Siltarp set up for years. I have 2 sleeping bags, a Western Mountaineering Ultra light -7c and a bomb proof Taiga Gortex barrel bag -28c for extremes. Other than building a snow cave it's one of my favorite set ups. If I was 20 years younger I'd buy a Hilleberg tent.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have a MH two person and it's nowhere near 2 lbs. I'd really like to know which one you have that is 2lbs ....
    I will dig the model number out, name
    Looked at 3 ..2 man tents..reviews said 2 pounds 5 oz..mnfr says 2 # 2 oz
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by shleebs View Post
    Hello,

Looking to buy a new 4 season tent to use next hunting season. Was wondering if anyone has tried the MEC tent - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-5...-4-Season-Tent . Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions.

Also, any recommendations for a bag type (synthetic or down) and what I should be looking at to be able to withstand weather from around 0 down to -15 or -20 in BC.

I'll be taking all of the above in a backpack so weight and ability to pack is important.

Thanks.
    I use the Tarn 2 from MEC for sheep.. Its been very good. never ripped and keeps u dry.. Only thing is really its meant for a guy and his wife.. lol..or two smaller adults. dad and his kid etc..

but nice n light and works well.
    Chris.

the tent I was referring to is the Helion 2..no longer made..?

I have written out on a sheep list..without aluminum pegs the original came in at 2pounds 4 ounzes...with extra bags for everything,plus 12 pegs..and lots of tie out guy ropes some were claiming approaching 4 pounds..this also may be the upgraded model with metal clips? I bought one of the first models and they came with tough plastic attatchments.big one person tent or small 2 person tent..think I bought mine in 2008..2007
    CHEERS

steven
    Last edited by srupp; 12-30-2018 at 01:31 PM.

What bivy model? Do you have a pic?
    I'm curious why you had condensation. The gore tex should breathe well enough to let it all escape when a person is at rest. Are you maybe breathing in/out into the bivy and creating condensation that way?

I use a Mountain Hardware waterproof sleeping bag and all the perspiration generated throughout the night escapes just fine. And I dont think the MH breathable fabric breathes as well as gore tex.
    No idea what model its not printed on it first Time i used it i thought it was condensation from my breath. Next time i just used it more like a outer shell with my head sticking out. Still had condensation issues. My experience with a bivy is not positive. Its one piece of gear i have scratched from my list

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    the tent I was referring to is the Helion 2..no longer made..?

I have written out on a sheep list..without aluminum pegs the original came in at 2pounds 4 ounzes...with extra bags for everything,plus 12 pegs..and lots of tie out guy ropes some were claiming approaching 4 pounds..this also may be the upgraded model with metal clips? I bought one of the first models and they came with tough plastic attatchments.big one person tent or small 2 person tent..think I bought mine in 2008..2007
    CHEERS

steven
    Yes, around 4lbs all in makes more sense for a small unit with 3 poles.
    I bought one in 2005 that is also discontinued .... the "Alcove 2". I'm still using it.

It's 5lb all in, but it is a much roomier tent. Back then that was considered fairly lightweight. It is starting to fall apart and i don't think it would do well in a storm. I can see the seam tape falling off the inside of the seams. Time to upgrade.

If I could have afforded a Hilli I would have gone that route, but I ended up going with a memo hornet and it is awesom for someone 6’ and under for how light it is. I would not hesitate to buy a 2p dagger or larger nemo model

Just my opinion and not trying to have a go at anybody, but why would any hunter or fisherman consider buying any product from MEC or any other company that is so anti Hunting and supports anti hunting/fishing organisations.

After their last decision to stop selling any Vista products I took everything we had ever purchased back & got a full refund including membership and told them exactly why