Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflateable life preservers

Inflateable life preservers

Sort of following on Albravo's canoe hunting post. What are your thoughts on inflateable life preservers ? What to avoid is most important I suppose . Plan to use it for lake kayaking and light rapids in summer and crabbing/prawning on saltchuck in colder weather.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inflateable life preservers

For kayaking and light rapids, get a real paddlers lifevest. A good lifevest fits well, which is good for paddling.

For big boat use, an inflatable is great. You can get the self inflating type. Mustang makes good ones. Prices vary depending on level you need - most of the levels are "work/professional" oriented.

I like them and would use them for all purposes you listed minus light rapids and cold weather/water. It also depends on whether you plan on buying a self inflating or a pull cord inflating vest?
    If in cold water I don’t know if you want to rely on yourself to pull on the cord if your motor skills are compromised from the initial hit of the cold water.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Try them on before you buy them.

I have a Cabelas one that doesn't fit at all and is awkward to wear.

My new favourite when it's cold is my Mustang floater coat

Like bear defence, the best life preserver is the one you actually have on you when the sh*t hits the fan. I love my corded inflatable vests and have a few. Mustang fit me pretty good.

For my birthday last month my wife bought me a Stearns inflatable vest from an aviation safety company in Alaska. It fits like a fishing vest, with lots of pockets and a pull cord inflatable pfd. I've made it into a wearable survival kit and know I'll be good for at least a few days if it is ever just me and that vest.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I use a Mustang while fly fishing the river but haven't had to use it.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...-vs-automatic/

(For what it's worth I bought a hydrostatic activated one)

Every inflatable PFD has an inflator mechanism that triggers a carbon dioxide cylinder to fill the bladder with air. Manual PFDs inflate when you pull the “jerk tab,” a yellow handle that dangles at approximately waist height, which pierces the CO2 cylinder. An automatic PFD will inflate when the water-soluble bobbin comes in contact with water releasing a spring-loaded pin that punctures the CO2.

The newest form of automatic inflate PFDs are triggered with a hydrostatic pressure valve, which is only triggered when immersed in a certain depth of water (the actual depth needed to trigger the valve varies by manufacture).

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...-vs-automatic/

(For what it's worth I bought a hydrostatic activated one)

Every inflatable PFD has an inflator mechanism that triggers a carbon dioxide cylinder to fill the bladder with air. Manual PFDs inflate when you pull the “jerk tab,” a yellow handle that dangles at approximately waist height, which pierces the CO2 cylinder. An automatic PFD will inflate when the water-soluble bobbin comes in contact with water releasing a spring-loaded pin that punctures the CO2.

The newest form of automatic inflate PFDs are triggered with a hydrostatic pressure valve, which is only triggered when immersed in a certain depth of water (the actual depth needed to trigger the valve varies by manufacture).
    A buddy had one of these in a storage box in his boat that filled with rainwater - the vest activated.

Mustang are very comfortable...I have worn one for about 8-9 years.
    Religious about putting it on when I step on the boat. it has gone off twice, once when a crab trap rope wrapped around the yellow handle and then once it went off on the dash when I had taken it off at the dock.
    I test it every two years and replace the bobbin and cartridge.
    Don't even know I am wearing it anymore...

Yup, have a Mustang for fly fishing in the belly boat (CO gave me crap for not having one when all those boating/licensing issue
    were going on, and said I needed one??).
    Self inflatable version if it gets wet (but I come close to setting it off when sitting waist deep in water anyways).
    Had it for years, so I wonder when I have to actually swap out the charging system???
    Definitely is needed to be safe out there, and would wear it on the shores of rivers as well.