Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axe for solo hunting

Axe for solo hunting

Hello All,

looking for "right" axe for solo hunting. Any suggestions? The main purpose is tree chopping and similar job, but heavy enough to carry it.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Axe for solo hunting

I don't carry an axe on my solo hunts unless I'm car camping. There's always a folding saw in my hunt kit however.

what about camping fire "russian style" ? even car can be cold

Wetterling or Gransfor are good quality brand axes ... lower end Fiskars ... check them out. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Wetterling or Gransfor are good quality brand axes ... lower end Fiskars ... check them out. : )
    wow, $300+ , well could be really good axe I think... thank you for sharing

I have a very small wetterlings that works awesome. I think it was around $100
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

I believe Wetterlings has been bought out and closed by gransfors (keeping employees and forging equipment), so gransfors is pretty much the only player in town now. The small forest axe or hunters axe is probably the best compromise between portability and functionality. I keep one under my truck seat and it has saved my ass a few times when I get my chainsaw bar stuck like a noob or I have an impromptu campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by theoutdoorsman View Post
    I believe Wetterlings has been bought out and closed by gransfors (keeping employees and forging equipment), so gransfors is pretty much the only player in town now. The small forest axe or hunters axe is probably the best compromise between portability and functionality. I keep one under my truck seat and it has saved my ass a few times when I get my chainsaw bar stuck like a noob or I have an impromptu campfire.

You’re right! Too bad!

No doubt an excellent axe. By far the best we ever had. Bought 4 (all sizes) years ago & gave 1 to LT as a b-day present.

I’m sure that there are more decent makes. Just remember the old adage you get what you pay for

http://www.wetterlings.com/informati...t-wetterlings/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by avadad View Post
    I don't carry an axe on my solo hunts unless I'm car camping. There's always a folding saw in my hunt kit however.
    me too!
    Car hunting different story - big Fiskars.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I've tried to find it online but they always out of stock.
    Can you please post a link from where I can buy a small one?

Looks like Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe (1.5 lbs) with 16" Handle #115 is good for hunting..