Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to be looking for when scouting?

What to be looking for when scouting?

Hoping to make more of a time commitment next year (spring & summer) to doing some scouting before the season to try to increase chances of getting a deer next fall. Can anyone give some advice on what to look for preseason? Hoping to choose a few spots to focus on during the season.
    Are you looking for present deer signs in the summer time? Or looking for areas that you would expect the deer to start coming down through in the fall - looking for spots with lots of food, good shooting spots?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What to be looking for when scouting?

I find that getting out there and finding sheds tells me one thing the deer in this case are close by in late fall, having found many sheds has attracted me to a few areas that have rewarded me well .... April brings on the spring bear season and never a better time out there to actually hunt and scout at the same time.
    Not a tree goes by without me having a closer look ... have a old friend who has taken many good blacktails ... none scored nor advertised .... but he did mention to me to look for the rubs and used the word
    “perennial “ to me that has meant year after year.... with me finding sheds in areas warrant further investigation into the areas .
    Last edited by Ferenc; 12-24-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    I find that getting out there and finding sheds tells me one thing the deer in this case are close by in late fall, having found many sheds has attracted me to a few areas that have rewarded me well .... April brings on the spring bear season and never a better time out there to actually hunt and scout at the same time.
    Not a tree goes by without me having a closer look ... have a old friend who has taken many good blacktails ... none scored nor advertised .... but he did mention to me to look for the rubs and used the word
    “perennial “ to me that has meant year after year.... with me finding sheds in areas warrant further investigation into the areas .
    Thank you. Will get out there in the spring and summer and look for them. Do you guys specifically look for bucks before the season (sheds, rubs) or just for any signs of deer?

Learn about the animal and its habitat. Head into the areas around you that you think hold animals and start marking what you find in a mapping app on your phone. You'll learn a lot about travel patterns. Head back in the fall and hope you get lucky.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/muledeer.pdf

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...OmV3AOuPjzaPfC

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Learn about the animal and its habitat. Head into the areas around you that you think hold animals and start marking what you find in a mapping app on your phone. You'll learn a lot about travel patterns. Head back in the fall and hope you get lucky.

Awesome articles. Thanks!!

All 3 deer species act different and like different habitat so scouting “deer” is too vague. I look for vet different things for each species

Learn about the 3 species and the habitat they like for starters

Many books on this topic

Very interesting, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BGHA View Post
    Very interesting, thanks
    No problem. You'd be surprised what's out there when yiy search. The ministries has done a lot of studies on ungulates. You can learn a lot thanks to their work.
    You get a greater appreciation for your prey when you know more about them. What's cool is when you take your new knowledge to google maps to pick spots ad when you puts boots on the ground there is sign.

Have fun.

No problem. You'd be surprised what's out there when yiy search. The ministries has done a lot of studies on ungulates. You can learn a lot thanks to their work.
    You get a greater appreciation for your prey when you know more about them. What's cool is when you take your new knowledge to google maps to pick spots ad when you puts boots on the ground there is sign.

Have fun.
    Yes indeed. Thanks again!