Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

I find my dog is a better side arm then bearspray. She’s saved my arse twice now from grizzlys. The second time, there’s a 99% chance myself and my dad would have been bear food, was no time to even think about pulling a rifle, or bearspray. If I didn’t have my dog with me all the time tho, I would certainly consider packing it.

After using 3/4 of the large, new can of counter assault on my own 50lb dog in 3 or 4 bursts from about 2 feet way directly into his face, mouth, eye and nose. All he did was shake his head and get back into the fight. The spray was essentially useless. I had to end the fight by swooping in and picking him up immediately after spraying him once I recognized the pattern.

This was the friendlyiest dog on on the planet protecting me from another dog.

Useless on him, so would I expect better on an animal 10 times its size and conditioned to a rough life fighting and killing to survive?.... nope.

Maybe a curuous bear but then again that one doesn't need spraying.

Enraged animal? It'd be the last thing of reach for.

I have a gun .... much more effective!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

I'm new to bc from ontario, where is grizz country here? I hear the kootenays, northern BC and the coast are heavily populated. Not so much the okanagan though. Next year I will be hunting around merritt in the fall.
    Last edited by Big Chris; 12-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    2 shots of Bear Spray killed a G Bear ? WOW RJ
    Haha, true its was a couple of lead pills that killed her but I liked the idea of a back up if I got knocked down.
    KCCO

Best bear defence is the one you actually carry.

For me, that usually boils down to my Leatherman, which is just a bit better than fists but i always have it. I have bear spray and a range of firearms that would be excellent bear protection but I'm not scared enough to always carry them when I wander into the bush.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    2 shots of Bear Spray killed a G Bear ? WOW RJ
    Now that's funny right there
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Cool Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    ... Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you.
    First: We have Black Bears of proportions that will simply amaze you.
    I have taken two well over seven feet in the past 2 years.
    Both were also well over 500 pounds, and easily capable of inflicting some rather major damage should they be so inclined.
    Grizz ain't the only BoogyMan out there!!

Second: Having tested various forms of bear sprays out on actual bears when working for National Parks, I personally will never own nor carry the stuff. While it worked on a fair number of bears, where it failed was almost exclusively with large dominant males - the very last kind you want it to fail with. Really.
    Others find it gives them some form of comfort, and a few have actually saved their own bacon by deploying the stuff.
    But for me, protection comes in the form of a short double 12 gauge (with SLUGS!!) when bowhunting, or the 300 Weatherby when engaged in a rifle hunt.

Cheers & Welcome to BC!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    New hunter from ontario here. I become a bc resident Jan 1 and want to scout some areas for next year's deer season. I figure I'll bring the 12 gauge for small game. Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you. Never seen a grizz before. Talking to hunting buddies at work it seems like everyone has a grizzly story lol. Do you guys carry bear spray or just rely on your rifle?
    I too left Ontario in the spring of '65 & never looked back!

Here’s what they look like
    You’re next!

Recent Grizzly release-just imagine if the camera/tripod was you!
    Fast is an understatement.
    http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/this-grizzly-bear-release-is-terrifying-video/

video
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/9ioa2n/grizzly_bear_release/

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

My WIFE packs Bear spray BUT I pack a 12 gauge Shotty or a Rifle when in a Area of BEAR concern ! I will NOT even to BEGIN to depend on Bear spray to SAVE my hide ! RJ