Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

I hunt almost exclusively in grizz country. I always carry it.

Too me, it's better to have both. Some times a rifle is out of reach. Sometimes you get knocked around. Sometimes an attack doesn't present a safe shot. For these reasons, bear spray is always attached to my chest via bino harness straps. Even when carrying a 12g with slugs. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Pepper is for after the bear is on the BBQ. Personally if not hunting I carry my holy crap cannon. 45-70 customized double gun throwing 540 gr "train stoppers"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Unless I'm bow hunting I have my rifle on me year round in the bush...bears get spray in the form of lead...

Bear spray stays in the truck or at camp.. when I remember to bring it. I'm never not armed with a rifle or short shotty when in bear country. I've spent some time out in the bush, not as much as some to be sure - but never had a bear encounter that rattled me,, fingers crossed it stays that way. lol

If i'm not hunting (with a rifle), I always have a trapper 30-30 handy when in the bush/on the river.

Better to have and not need, than to not have.

Watched some drunk guys spray each other at a pit party one night and decided that can spray wasn't good enough to protect me or my kids.
    I'll stick with lead spray.

Yes I do carry bear spray at all times never have had to use it todate but its nice to know you have it with you at all times..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Bear spray is better than nothing... If I can I bring both gun and bear spray.
    If its only bear spray I can bring I also bring a big knife, there is definitely a chance you could be using this as bear spray isn't a guarantee to stop an animal.

Another thought.. I've had wolves come after me and bear spray would not have been as great you'd really want a shotgun (which I had and it worked great).

Also you need to watch your wind with spray. If you get it back into your face deep in the brush and a predator is after you not a good situation...

Just keep your expectations of what it does realistic. Its a pepper spray that works well on curious bears. Its a toss up in other scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    I hunt almost exclusively in grizz country. I always carry it.

Too me, it's better to have both. Some times a rifle is out of reach. Sometimes you get knocked around. Sometimes an attack doesn't present a safe shot. For these reasons, bear spray is always attached to my chest via bino harness straps. Even when carrying a 12g with slugs. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

This! I have a holder that attaches to my mystery ranch bino harness. A buddy and I were charged and killed a grizz still coming full stream at 13 y last year. It took a shot from each of us to drop her. I like the idea of a back up, I am not to cool or tough to carry bear spray.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    This! I have a holder that attaches to my mystery ranch bino harness. A buddy and I were charged and killed a grizz still coming full stream at 13 y last year. It took a shot from each of us to drop her. I like the idea of a back up, I am not to cool or tough to carry bear spray.
    2 shots of Bear Spray killed a G Bear ? WOW RJ

I always carry bear spray on my belt, especially when I'm not able to pack a gun. One hell of a lot more comforting to have bear spray with you, than waving your fly rod at a cranky bear. It could be the best $50 you can spend. A couple of years ago, 2 guys from Fernie, B.C. were walking up a mountain trail to check a trail cam. One had a rifle strapped to his pack and the other carried bear spray. They were charged at very close range. The fellow with the bear spray was knocked down a steep bank with the grizzly on top of him. As the bear was mauling him ,he managed to spray it with the bear spray. This stopped the attack on him. Though badly chewed up, both guys survived and were able to get out for medical help. I'm sure they will both be carrying bear spray in future.