Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    and I also just noticed my reply appears as a quote from hickman...confusing to follow...heheheheh
    Random Technology! Happy New Year to y'all - bear spray or not

Bear spray works I guess but make sure you know which way the wind is blowing.

Lead doesn't get blown back into your face by wind!
    Last edited by tomcat; 12-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge! I Like that one ! RJ
    Signature material for sure ...... Awesome !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    Bear spray works I guess but make sure you know which way the wind is blowing.
    Yes inclement weather no doubt hinders its use but wouldn't rely on it regardless. There is just too much evidence of bear spray failures resulting in many maulings & some deaths.
    Probably it's better than playing dead if charged/attacked by a grizz.

It may stop a curious bear then it may not.
    More examples of using bear spray & what to expect.

Ranger sprays bears-throwing rocks worked better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA

Bear spray fails-30/06 saves the day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dry7aDm6ws

Decided to use spray over gun-bad mistake.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...montana-video/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    New hunter from ontario here. I become a bc resident Jan 1 and want to scout some areas for next year's deer season. I figure I'll bring the 12 gauge for small game. Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you. Never seen a grizz before. Talking to hunting buddies at work it seems like everyone has a grizzly story lol. Do you guys carry bear spray or just rely on your rifle?
    When ever I go into the bush, I'm armed.
    My bear spray always contains lead.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I would never rely on bear spray to stop a charging bear.

If using a shotgun make sure you have some good quality solid slugs along.And forget about buckshot-it simply lacks penetration.

A big caliber rifle is best. I personally use the 45/70 Guide Gun loaded with 540 gr. bullets, a 375H&H loaded with 300 gr. bullets & sometimes a Defender loaded with 3"mag Brenneke slugs when retrieving game.
    We do have a couple cans of bear spray at camp in case a curious bear appears.

Finally came across a bear attack story from 1996.

After reading it over 20 years ago never believed in the authenticity of Herrero's & Tom Smith's bear spray studies done a few years later.
    This was the first major spray failure with many more to come!

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/opi...rado/26055389/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Finally came across a bear attack story from 1996.

After reading it over 20 years ago never believed in the authenticity of Herrero's & Tom Smith's bear spray studies done a few years later.
    This was the first major spray failure with many more to come!

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/opi...rado/26055389/
    have you ever read their study? It seems to me there is an original publication and an amended version.

I can not recall the exactly number of incident used in the study, I believe it was in the 180's. Incidents included in the "it works" column included spraying through fences, through slightly opened windows, on curious bears, and on camp gear. Anything that involved spray and no bear/human contact. Yes, even though it's known to be an attractant, spray it on a cooler, attract a bear, it licks the cooler and leaves.. "it worked"

i belive of al 180 something incidents, only 6 deployments were on bears deemed to be acting aggressively. Of those 6 times 4 resulted in bear making contact with the human, 2 of those resulted in serious injury.

Now ow I don't clam to be a mathematician, or an expert in extrapolating data but my logic says only those 6 incidences are of value, the spray was only 23% effective. Failing 67%.

My link to the original study is now broken.

in fact I can no longer find it on the web. That study is listed as reference 11 and 13 when you search this "bear spray efficacy study in Alaska" Wikipedia results, yet the link is broke there as well. "Page not found".

Then there was thier opposing study, efficacy of firearms for bear defence. As if the volume of reported incidences were even remotely accurate. Do they actually think every time a gunshot is used to scare off a bear it gets reported and documented? Every time a bear is shot?

Its sickening to know how badly these people manipulate data to make money and give a false sense of security to people who pack thier products.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    1)have you ever read their study? It seems to me there is an original publication and an amended version. )

I can not recall the exactly number of incident used in the study, I believe it was in the 180's. Incidents included in the "it works" column included spraying through fences, through slightly opened windows, on curious bears, and on camp gear. Anything that involved spray and no bear/human contact. Yes, even though it's known to be an attractant, spray it on a cooler, attract a bear, it licks the cooler and leaves.. "it worked"

i belive of al 180 something incidents, only 6 deployments were on bears deemed to be acting aggressively. Of those 6 times 4 resulted in bear making contact with the human, 2 of those resulted in serious injury.

Now ow I don't clam to be a mathematician, or an expert in extrapolating data but my logic says only those 6 incidences are of value, the spray was only 23% effective. Failing 67%.

My link to the original study is now broken.

in fact I can no longer find it on the web. That study is listed as reference 11 and 13 when you search this "bear spray efficacy study in Alaska" Wikipedia results, yet the link is broke there as well. "Page not found".

Then there was thier opposing study, efficacy of firearms for bear defence. As if the volume of reported incidences were even remotely accurate. Do they actually think every time a gunshot is used to scare off a bear it gets reported and documented? Every time a bear is shot?

2)Its sickening to know how badly these people manipulate data to make money and give a false sense of security to people who pack thier products.
    1)-yes I have

2)-fully agree-this is what I've been saying for many years on HBC.

The study results were based on anecdotal, cherry picked & statistically insignificant numbers by only 2 so called scientists, Herrero(& Smith) & don't have a semblance of real scientific evidence. They can not be replicated!

The results were no doubt predetermined.

The leftist MSM suppresses stories (& there are many), where bear spray failed to stop a charging bear or where it had zero or little effect when sprayed. When forced to publish they conjure up a "good" story of why the spray failed.

To them bear lives matter more.

Wow lots of brave guys on here. I prefer a big stick or a poke in the eye with my thumb and tell them to go lay down. Works every time. So far.....? but because it takes no space to carry and I have a firearm (non magnum) I feel good. Why not carry it? could save your life if the stick breaks or you firearm jams.