Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Resurect the dead why dont we eh. When a bear charges or attacks you dont have time to decide hmmmm should I use the spray? maybe my gun, or maybe Ill just yell.

SPRAY= 1) If its windy or raining you have to think about which way its going or spray wont work. 2) If its a particularly angry bear it wont work. 3) If the bear is more than 10 feet away it wont work. 4) If its not in your hands have you practiced removing it from the holster/removing the safety clip more than a few times times in the clothing you are wearing at the time? Instinct beats thinking every time because seconds matter. 5) Does bear spray have more than one use? nope.

My Gun= 1) works no matter wind or weather 2) My guns will kill an angry bear or a desperate bear or just a curious confused bear it doesn't discriminate. 3) if a bear is acting not happy a few shots into the ground should do the trick, if it decides otherwise so will I no matter the distance. 4) My gun is always in my hands and I have been carrying them my whole life, thinking comes second. 5) Noise maker, visual intimidation kickin dirt and smacking tress with some lead near a bear gets there attention, lethal force is a given and last makes a decent club. Bear spray has lots of variables I cannot control, my guns have one variable and that is me which I have control over.

Oh man this bear spray vs gun debate gets old.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Carry both.

Bear spray does not work in a lot of situations. Guns can jam or misfire (had that play out twice at close range) and you cant really point a rifle when you're getting mauled. If your hunting partner is getting mauled (maybe it's your wife) and they are both flailing around like a tornado, are you going to pull a trigger with your sight picture changing 5x per second? No shortage of hunters / guides shooting their partner while their partner is getting mauled... let alone all those bullet and bone fragments that explode all over the place like a shotty blowing in all directions should you hit a bone at close range... seen it and done it

Bear spray only? No shortage of stories of guys emptying multiple cans of bear spray on a predator bear in an hour long ordeal over a few kilometers... gun would have been better... could have plugged it at 50 yards, 10-30 yards, etc 10x over that hour long assault and testing of wits.

Maybe you're grouse hunting and walking around with bird shot in the mag and the pipe. how many rounds back is your bear safety round? how many times do you figure you can cycle that pump at a close / surprise attack? Or do you carry two guns? Why not have bear spray on your belt? There's really no reason not to.

Carry both, use your brain. It's not a religious war LOL. Who the heck would insist on only having one tool in the toolbox when they have two?

NO MAN. PHILLIPS ONLY ! ... Flat heads where it's at! It works for most stuff.. and I refuse to carry that extra 8oz on my belt! I'm an alpine hunter baby... I cut my tooth brush and matches all in half and shaved my legs to reduce weight.

Good grief

*mic drop*

Last edited by caddisguy; 05-19-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Oh man this bear spray vs gun debate gets old.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Carry both.

Bear spray does not work in a lot of situations. Guns can jam or misfire (had that play out twice at close range) and you cant really point a rifle when you're getting mauled. If your hunting partner is getting mauled (maybe it's your wife) and they are both flailing around like a tornado, are you going to pull a trigger with your sight picture changing 5x per second? No shortage of hunters / guides shooting their partner while their partner is getting mauled... let alone all those bullet and bone fragments that explode all over the place like a shotty blowing in all directions should you hit a bone at close range... seen it and done it

Bear spray only? No shortage of stories of guys emptying multiple cans of bear spray on a predator bear in an hour long ordeal over a few kilometers... gun would have been better... could have plugged it at 50 yards, 10-30 yards, etc 10x over that hour long assault and testing of wits.

Maybe you're grouse hunting and walking around with bird shot in the mag and the pipe. how many rounds back is your bear safety round? how many times do you figure you can cycle that pump at a close / surprise attack? Or do you carry two guns? Why not have bear spray on your belt? There's really no reason not to.

Carry both, use your brain. It's not a religious war LOL. Who the heck would insist on only having one tool in the toolbox when they have two?

NO MAN. PHILLIPS ONLY ! ... Flat heads where it's at! It works for most stuff.. and I refuse to carry that extra 8oz on my belt! I'm an alpine hunter baby... I cut my tooth brush and matches all in half and shaved my legs to reduce weight.

Good grief

*mic drop*

The problem is that the anti hunting, anti gun, save the bear organizations have been lying all these years about the efficacy of bear spray that were based on a couple of questionable non scientific studies which they constantly quote.
    They are in the process as we speak to make it mandatory in some states for the hunters to carry bear spray & use as a first line of defence.

Just a few days ago a Kamloops woman's bear spray failed. What she said-"As the bear charged I unholstered the bear spray & sprayed the bear. It was not effective at slowing it down whatsoever"
    The CO's concluded that the attack was of predatory nature.

There has been many examples(some recent) where the spray has failed to stop a mauling & even death even when directly sprayed in the bear's face.
    Every failure should be exposed to the public to make them aware of the spray's weakness.

My point is DON'T COUNT ON THE BEAR SPRAY TO STOP A CHARGING BEAR!
    Last edited by mpotzold; 05-19-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

The problem is that the anti hunting, anti gun, save the bear organizations have been lying all these years about the efficacy of bear spray that were based on a couple of questionable non scientific studies which they constantly quote.
    They are in the process as we speak to make it mandatory in some states for the hunters to carry bear spray & use as a first line of defence.

Just a few days ago a Kamloops woman's bear spray failed. What she said-"As the bear charged I unholstered the bear spray & sprayed the bear. It was not effective at slowing it down whatsoever"
    The CO's concluded that the attack was of predatory nature.

There has been many examples(some recent) where the spray has failed to stop a mauling & even death even when directly sprayed in the bear's face.
    Every failure should be exposed to the public to make them aware of the spray's weakness.

My point is DON'T COUNT ON THE BEAR SPRAY TO STOP A CHARGING BEAR!

Latest. May 22, 2019
    Idaho Fish and Game Commission turned down the request that the carry of bear spray by hunters be mandatory.

“Research proves bear spray is more effective than a firearm” is not a factual statement based on research; it’s a baseless propaganda slogan
    The idea that bear spray is more effective than firearms in stopping bear attacks is not proven. It is junk science.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/why...#axzz5ogc4LIPU

Thank you Dave Smith!
    Dave wrote a letter to the Idaho Fish and Game Department, IFGD, to educate them about the problems involved making it mandatory.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

The absolute truth about bear spray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9X26Y7Pr8

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Yep at all times I carry spray never know when you might not be able to shoot at a surprise attack
    Not sure if someone has already responded to this comment, but you'd be lucky to deploy one form of defence in a surprise attack, let alone wasting precious seconds deciding between two options.

Pass the rifle, all day, any day.....

Ya, I'm just gonna keep my 12 gauge and slugs close. Thanks for so many replies. Didn't realize this topic has been beaten to death. Thanks for bear-ing it hahaha *crickets*

Some here worry about bears too much

You can carry a firearm, you can carry spray and in the end if you don’t use your head your going to be in trouble. Most in a true oh sh!t moment won’t keep it together enough to react with any form of defence. Nothing wrong with packing either firearm or spray but the most un reliable factor is the person carrying them. Watched my fair share of people freeze in the moment, spray & pray, or even run and all talked shit about what they would do if things went sideways. I have met lots of hunters with big talk on what they will do and very few I actually trust to keep it together if things went wrong.

Want to be prepared educate yourself on how to avoid getting into a bad spot with bears and how to read them. Pay attention to your surroundings and sign

Way too many don’t realize the difference between a close encounter and a dangerous situation.

Pepper Definition

pep·per

/ˈpepər/

noun
    noun: pepper; plural noun: peppers

a pungent, hot-tasting powder prepared from dried and ground peppercorns, commonly used as a spice or condiment to flavor food.
      "season to taste with salt and pepper"

Bear defense guns, (Chuck Hawks)

While powerful rifles are probably the best bear medicine, other firearm choices are possible. The usual alternatives are 12 gauge shotguns shooting slug loads or powerful handguns, usually in the form of magnum revolvers. In a pinch, either can get the job done.
      Let's consider shotguns first. A shotgun is approximately as heavy as a carbine rifle and similar in length, so it has no particular advantage in either size or weight over a rifle. A shotgun shooting slugs is typically less accurate than a rifle, although adequate for close range bear protection. The common 12 gauge/437 grain (one ounce) rifled slug has a SD of .117, which is low. However, a 12 gauge slug is heavy and measures about .72 caliber, which is certainly impressive. Most manufacturers of repeating shotguns offer carbine length slug guns.
      A correspondent who has been a big game guide in the far north for 30 years and who has far more experience with bears than I wrote to inform me that a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs is an effective weapon for protection against bears, popular with both guides and fish and wildlife officers. To quote from his e-mail, "The 12 gauge with slugs is ideal for crawling through the puckerbush after a big bear, but it's not the best tool for a 150-yard shot at a fleeing bear heading for the thick stuff." He also mentioned in the same e-mail that his favorite guide rifle is a .45-70.

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

If you can keep it together in the moment a 12ga is my choice for tracking wounded bears

Its the soft squishy thing holding that is often holding the shotgun for bear defence that I don’t trust lol