Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

My problem seems to be my reaction. I have been in a few black bear encounters and one grizzly and every time my reaction was to yell not pull up my firearm. I got lucky and each time the bear ran off but I keep thinking what if... what if the bear decided to charge would I have time. In two of those instances I for sure would have not... makes me think about traning myself to pull my rifle up or draw when with my bow. I dunno just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    My problem seems to be my reaction. I have been in a few black bear encounters and one grizzly and every time my reaction was to yell not pull up my firearm. I got lucky and each time the bear ran off but I keep thinking what if... what if the bear decided to charge would I have time. In two of those instances I for sure would have not... makes me think about traning myself to pull my rifle up or draw when with my bow. I dunno just a thought
    Curiosity how close were these bears?

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Absolutely, I'd say ready your defense system before announcing your presence. I've read way to many cases of a human voice upsetting the balance and provoking a charge.

Had a sow/young boar come into a cow call a few years ago. Had a solid bead on her at 50'ish yards and was ready, had she decided to charge instead of turn tail. Took 2 stern 'GET OUTTA HERE'S' before she took off, but she coulda just as easily pushed the issue and 50 yards is nothin' for a grizz to eat up.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Absolutely, I'd say ready your defense system before announcing your presence. I've read way to many cases of a human voice upsetting the balance and provoking a charge.

Had a sow/young boar come into a cow call a few years ago. Had a solid bead on her at 50'ish yards and was ready, had she decided to charge instead of turn tail. Took 2 stern 'GET OUTTA HERE'S' before she took off, but she coulda just as easily pushed the issue and 50 yards is nothin' for a grizz to eat up.
    That's good to know. I don't know why that's just my instinct. 50 yards on a sow grizz with your bow? No thanks haha

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Curiosity how close were these bears?
    1 black bear was about 20 yards while bow hunting, second was a sow and cub about the same 20-30 yards. She charged out of the trees after I spotted her cub but she bluffed me. Third was a black bear I spooked out of his bed at maybe 10 yards yards rifle in hand. That one was close. Fourth was a young grizz that started out at 70 yards roughly and worked his way into about 30 yards pretty quick before he decided I wasn't worth the effort. That time I had my rifle thank God. Last one was a black bear that walked through camp at maybe 10 feet. He had no interest in us though. More interested in tearing up a stump 20 yards from camp. He's lucky to be alive.

Haha, no, I wasn't packing a bow. 'Bead' in that particular case was a Leupold crosshair intersection locked on a forehead.

I’ve sprayed 5 bears with bear spray. In my experience it’s not really effective from greater than 5-6 feet. You have to hit them dead in the face a concentrated stream. After over 30+ years working and recreating in the bush, I’ve had a few closeups with grizzly and black bears but no real bad encounters. I think you should do what you think you feel comfortable with. I know three people who have been attacked by bears but I don’t get to fussed about bears. It’s a pretty low probability even if you work full time in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Haha, no, I wasn't packing a bow. 'Bead' in that particular case was a Leupold crosshair intersection locked on a forehead.
    Hahaha oh I thought you meant bead for a bow sight! Still scary shit!

Whitlers I would expect to have more bear encounters just like the ones you described lol

The bears (expecially sows with cubs)you startle at point blank range are worth paying attention to if they stand their ground. They are debating fight or flight or intimidation most choose flight but inside 20yards you don’t want to be caught with your pants down if they choose fight lol

NO I do not carry bear spray when I'm hunting. I PACK A GUN !

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Whitlers I would expect to have more bear encounters just like the ones you described lol

The bears (expecially sows with cubs)you startle at point blank range are worth paying attention to if they stand their ground. They are debating fight or flight or intimidation most choose flight but inside 20yards you don’t want to be caught with your pants down if they choose fight lol
    Good to know. Yes of the ones I described that one was the most intense. She rushed out right at me then stopped, stood up and ran off cub in trail. I would have been pretty beat up had she kept comming as all I had was my bow and spray but in the moment I didn't think of either.