Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Bear Spray is like a leaky condom. It gives you a false sense of security while getting screwed
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

12 gauge pump slug gun, short 12" barrel, check your back every so often for creepy, sneaky cats

No bear spray, just a good reliable hunting rifle.

12 gauge when just scouting camping fishing etc

I don't take bear spray when hunting but I do take bear spray when I fish the Vedder River. Just the sight of the small bear spray container hanging from my breast pocket of my fishing vest seems to eliminate confrontations and that's all I need it to do.

Attentive "Bears" change their disposition once they see and recognize a little bear spray dispenser. I've had it hanging on my best for 21 years now - no clue if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I don't take bear spray when hunting but I do take bear spray when I fish the Vedder River. Just the sight of the small bear spray container hanging from my breast pocket of my fishing vest seems to eliminate confrontations and that's all I need it to do.

Attentive "Bears" change their disposition once they see and recognize a little bear spray dispenser. I've had it hanging on my best for 21 years now - no clue if it works.
    The ol vedder has got this bad eh?

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    The ol vedder has got this bad eh?
    Honestly, I can't even go there any more - it just stresses me out too much. Look, there area ton of honest fishermen but there are also too many asterholds that I can no longer keep my composure around. My knees and overall stability really hurts me too much to walk on river rock for long distances so I'm sadly limited to the heavy visited locations. I don't care - I won't go there anymore.

I have a few wonderful friends (one is Nog's late season crossbow buddy) that we go to a couple fabulous stillwater lakes from Spring to Fall which we hit almost every nice weather weekend. Then its reloading and flytying time until spring bear and stillwater season again.

Yup - no more time for Stelhead or salmon on the Vedder - and it's a shame that I won't go anymore and I'm only 20 minutes away from the river. Sad.

Lead bear spray. Chilli sauce stays in the kitchen
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Lead bear spray. Chilli sauce stays in the kitchen

Thats about my feel on the matter. I’m sure there’s a percentage of bears that prefer some pepper on their human. Short shotgun w slugs.... shoulder,vitals,brain.

Maybe I’m getting a little paranoid as I get older but this year was first year I carried bear spray on my backpack hipbelt all the time. I find on my back pack hunts my rifle is usually strapped to my pack and I’m using hiking poles to take weight off my weak knee.

With ever increasing grizzlies populations I carried spray on my moose hunt up north.
    Literally only taking it off while sleeping.

I also found it not bothersome at all to carry on my belt.
    Hearing campfire stories of guys getting knocked down by bears and rifle goes flying etc.

Yep at all times I carry spray never know when you might not be able to shoot at a surprise attack
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..