Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Re: Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

to each his own.

not all bear attacks can be stopped or prevented with bear spray. Not all can be stopped or prevented with a firearm.

The way I see it, it is another option to have at your disposal.

Bowhunter so carry spray.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    New hunter from ontario here. I become a bc resident Jan 1 and want to scout some areas for next year's deer season. I figure I'll bring the 12 gauge for small game. Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you. Never seen a grizz before. Talking to hunting buddies at work it seems like everyone has a grizzly story lol. Do you guys carry bear spray or just rely on your rifle?
    In consideration what your saying...................
    Since you already have a 12 Gage make use of what you have. Most Grizzly charges are Bluff charges and if you stand your ground will bolt off before he is within 20 feet. Any closer let her fly with 00Buckshot or Slugs both will work but my preference would be Buckshot. You shoot from your hip and don't stop till you need reloading.

If you do use a Rifle and aim with your sights (open or Scope) and if I would be a CO I would charge you with an illegal kill because you where way to far.

One more thing.
    At home, in a Gun shop or whatever most Guns work flawlessly. In a high stress situation like a Grizzly charge Guns tend to malfunction in various way, be shur your Iron works and you know how to handle it.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

So when I walking/stalking I'm ideally walking head on into the wind. So when a charging bear comes at me from the front dispensing pepper spray is going to really help that bear as I'll be blinded by the cloud of pepper - and won't be able to put up much of a resistance to the attack.

On a positive note, I'll be lightly pepper seasoned and that will make me more tasty to the bear.

The way I think is having bear spray with you is better than not having it at all if you don't carry the spay with you
    you have nothing if the bear is on top of you I would rather have the spay then noting at all
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Bear spray is for the dogs when walking in the sub division!

I'd much rather have my Glock 20. I dream of a day we have real "common sense gun laws"

I’m not a good enough shot to shoot a bear with my rifle when it’s running at full speed. I carry Bear spray all the time, I have it and if I don’t carry on my belt it’s not going to help me if I’m in a jam!! From all the info I have read and watched online Bear spray is extremely effective. That being said I hope I never had to test it out

Yes - it's better to have the spray than not. It could make the difference in survival.

Plus if you manage to make your rifle inoperable in the field, at least you have some degree of protection insurance other than just your knife.

Bear spray can come back into your face and eyes also don't forget -- When you get scared and in a hurry you spray with no thought or delay, then you spray ok?

Jelly Spray -- Back -- > the wind blows back into your face < -- then what? A grizz and spray now -- 2 deal with -- -- > Your pritty well Brooks and your Done
    Last edited by Jelvis; 12-27-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Hello I'm Johnny Ca$h