Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Reccomendations

Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Yup, definitely have that covered with a beauty from Leupold which has already earned its keep in the rifle zone on some long shots. Incidentally I was already packing it in the shotgun zone as well to avoid any shots outside my effective range with buckshot, so will do the same with the crossbow. On trick which I use (which many of you probably already use too) when hunting from my blind was to pre-range notable objects around the blind so as to avoid having to range the deer itself when it actually steps out as they can sure move fast when hot on the tail of a doe.

Dam! My package arrives this afternoon and early this evening I start assembling it. All is going really well until I go to mount the scope. I separate the top rings from the bottom. Remove the scope and then fix the bottom rings to the rail, place the scope back in the lower ring cradles, position the top rings and start installing the screws. All the while being mindful to keep the gaps between the top and bottom rings even while bringing each screw a ¼ turn down in a crisscross fashion like I have so many times before when mounting scopes. Everything is going smoothly when all of a sudden one screw on the back rings looses it tightness. I stop and have a closer look and discover that the gap on the other side has increased to a far greater extent than the side that went slack. Closer look reveals that the screw is well past the flange bottom on the screw hole. Out comes the micrometer. The screw flange on three holes measures a thickness of .045 and the one that "collapsed" has a thickness of only .010. 25% of what it should be. I'll phone Excalibur in the morning to see how we can proceed.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

If you need any more convincing on which bow to get go onto YouTube and look up elephant hunting with Excalibur crossbow. I’ve taken over a dozen blackbears with mine. I sold it to a friend of mine years ago who has used it for hunting everything on the island except for elk. I had the exo max and you could hit a grouse at 50 yards. The longest shot I ever took was 110 yards at a black bear which I hit in the eyeball. I had to do some math on the fly and use a measuring tape to make the shot but he dropped immediately. The bow is incredibly powerful and very accurate . My friend once hit a deer with a bad shot as it jumped just as he shot And the bolt went through both of the rear hip bones. They are insanely deadly.

Arrow Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    ... I'll phone Excalibur in the morning to see how we can proceed.
    Unfortunate experience, but as with pretty well anything else, things can go awry.
    Great thing about Excalibur is they stand firmly behind all their products, and offer The Best Warranty in the business.
    Never had to use that myself, but have heard from a few that have over the years, and their service appears to be first rate.
    I am certain they will rectify the matter very quickly for you.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Update:
    Phoned Excalibur and talked to a lady in warranty. Told her my problem with the top ring. She said that there have been several instances with the 30mm rings doing the same thing that occurred with mine. She said, "No problem, I'll get a new set out to you today."
    If there is a re-occurring problem, I think they should address it and find another source. Their web page states that the rings are a Weaver base type ring which tells me that they are not Weaver.
    Also, I'm not particularly keen on 2 screws per ring and would prefer 4 screw type, but space on the scope may be the limiting factor.
    I have a 4 screw set I can check the width on to see if a wider ring could be used. Can't use the ones I have as they are high mount. The lower Excalibur base height is .285 whereas Weaver lower base height is .288 but are 4 screw.
    Oh well, l'm on hold for time being.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I Have the Ex Matrix Bulldog 380 Its Crazy ! i love it .!
    " Never tell me the Odds "

I took a beautiful buck this evening with my excal micro 335. Went exactly where I aimed. Retrieved the arrow/bolt, and the deer. 25yd, elevated shot, 13' high.

Quote Originally Posted by center color View Post
    I took a beautiful buck this evening with my excal micro 335. Went exactly where I aimed. Retrieved the arrow/bolt, and the deer. 25yd, elevated shot, 13' high.
    Congrats. Any pictures?

i went crossbow hunting today for the first time with my 380 , of course i shot the bag in the summer a bit . but its a whole different ball game in the field. Where i hunt , its hilly and thick and snow on the ground . needless to say i missed 3 does and lost 4 bolts .! i swear i took my time on the last 2 , that crossbow is fast ! you cant see the bolts . need some lumenok for sure ! and a angle finder RF.
    " Never tell me the Odds "

guest Guest

Well if you say you were sited in......... maybe you had DDDDoe FFFFever