Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Reccomendations

Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Had the dude posted his 380 a week ago, I would have bought it. A few days ago, 30th, I bought a new 355 on line for $996.44 to my door.
    I weighed in the factors that Ruger.270 posted above, "Ended up going with the Micro 355 as the size factor weighed heavily in favor of that model given that most of my hunting with be from smaller pop up blinds where space is a major factor. " Also, with a 10" power stroke the cocking effort should be a more manageable effort. The reason that I bypassed on the 400.
    Although the speed of the 355 is a little lower, I think the biggest negating factor is the shorter bolts necessitating heavier broadheads. But in turn, that may be a bonus in kinetic energy for better penetration.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

You still have a winner with the Micro 355- congrats on the new bow. I hunted with my old Exocet 330 which has plenty of jam - end of the day its whats right for you.
    I heard nothing but great reviews of the 380 which is why i went that route for my next bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Had the dude posted his 380 a week ago, I would have bought it. A few days ago, 30th, I bought a new 355 on line for $996.44 to my door.
    I weighed in the factors that Ruger.270 posted above, "Ended up going with the Micro 355 as the size factor weighed heavily in favor of that model given that most of my hunting with be from smaller pop up blinds where space is a major factor. " Also, with a 10" power stroke the cocking effort should be a more manageable effort. The reason that I bypassed on the 400.
    Although the speed of the 355 is a little lower, I think the biggest negating factor is the shorter bolts necessitating heavier broadheads. But in turn, that may be a bonus in kinetic energy for better penetration.

What do people think about running the 16 inch illuminated quill arrows with 150 grain Excalibur bolt cutter broad heads on the 355?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    What do people think about running the 16 inch illuminated quill arrows with 150 grain Excalibur bolt cutter broad heads on the 355?
    Bear in mind that the minimum arrow weight for the Micro 355 is 350 grains all inclusive. Subtracting the 150 grain broadhead leaves a 200 grain requirement for arrow, vanes, nock and inserts. With a 16" bolt, you will need a approximate minimum 12.5 grains per inch of bolt.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Bear in mind that the minimum arrow weight for the Micro 355 is 350 grains all inclusive. Subtracting the 150 grain broadhead leaves a 200 grain requirement for arrow, vanes, nock and inserts. With a 16" bolt, you will need a approximate minimum 12.5 grains per inch of bolt.
    The 16" Excalibre Quills weigh 257 grains without a tip or lumanocks.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    The 16" Excalibre Quills weigh 257 grains without a tip or lumanocks.
    Yeah, this is what I thought, meaning I'd be weighing in a bit over 400 grains with a 150 grain broad-head and (maybe) luminocks. Wondering if from anyone's experience that is in the ballpark of the right bolt/broad-head weight range for the micro 355 in terms of achieving ideal accuracy before I go spend the money buying this stuff. Given that they provide 150 grain field points with the bow I'm assuming 150 grain broad-heads would be the "best bet" in terms of weight for hunting.

Arrow Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Can't really help with the 355 so much as I have never run one.
    That said, a heck of a lot of the members on the Excalibur Forum have and do.
    Good bunch over there, always willing to help:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/

I have the same handle there, and there are a few of us from BC that wander around fairly regularly.
    Likely worth your while to drop by, and ask your questions there.
    I am certain you will get more than a few responses from folks In The Know...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks Nog, I'll check that out and search the other forum, I would imagine others have asked a similar question.

Whatever crossbow you decide on, get a range finder ,essential for anything over 30 yards

Thumbs up Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Whatever crossbow you decide on, get a range finder ,essential for anything over 30 yards
    Yep - one of those Don't Leave Home Without It items for sure!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me