Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Reccomendations

Hybrid View

Crossbow Reccomendations

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering wading (for the first time) into the world of archery by purchasing an Excalibur crossbow.

I'm fairly set on that brand due to the consistent excellent reviews, and great warranty. I've seen some impressive posts by a number of members over the years about this brand. They are also available at the Nanaimo Cabelas for me to get some hands on time with before I make any decisions, which I think is an important factor in any weapon purchase.

I've only tried compound bows a few times and didn't shoot very well at all. Part of that may have been using a bow that my hulk-Hogan like friend had set up at a very high draw weight. However, knowing I realistically simply do not have the apparently huge amount of time needed to practice the amount required to ethically hunt with a compound, is another reason I'm leaning towards the crossbow. I can probably make time to get out once a month to practice, which I've been told is probably enough for a crossbow if I get one this winter and get started right away to prepare for September 2019. Either way I am the type of hunter that wouldn't shoot at an animal until I'm 100% confident in what I'm doing. I probably went through $100 worth of ammo for my shotgun over a 2 year period before deciding on a buckshot load I was comfortable hunting with.

My primary target will be blacktail deer here on the Island, hunting out of a pop up ground blind or tree stand.

However, if it is possible to "do it all" with one crossbow, I'd like to potentially also be able to go after our local Elk as well, seeing as its basically impossible to draw a tag in the rifle zone. If it's not possible to do it all with one implement, then I'd focus on something perfect for blacktails.

My budget is about $1200 bucks give or take a little. I'm 6'1 and about 200 pounds in average shape as far as physical capacity goes (as I hear some of these things are real doozies to work) although hoping to get back to my usual this year with some serious gym time.

What would your expert suggestions be and why?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

I own a Marrix 400. It’s fast, accurate and fun to shoot. Pretty hard pull to cock it and even harder pull to bolts with broadheads on them out of my block target.
    Its bad news for black tails all right!

Arrow Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

I personally believe the Matrix 380 is the best bow Excalibur has ever made.
    Of course I am biased, as that is what I run with.

That said, I have previously owned a couple of their other products (ExoMax & Ibex), and shot several of the newer ones (Bulldog 400, Micro 355 etc).

The 380 for me is the perfect compromise between power, speed and accuracy.
    It is not the wide footprint of their early bows, but quite slender in comparison.
    And once tweaked, these are capable of absolutely amazing accuracy!
    I commonly shoot smaller than 3 inch groups at 100 yards!!

I suggest that within your price point, and what you will be hunting (the 380 will easily take elk & moose) you can't go far wrong with a Matrix 380. They can be found from time to time on the Excalibur Forum, Archery Talk (Crossbow Section) and Gun Nutz. At this juncture, most are selling for much less than 1,000 clams.

On other fronts, Excalibur is launching a couple new bows this winter:

I do believe these will be a fair bit more in pricing than what you are currently suggesting though...

Regardless of which model you choose, I firmly believe you have chosen the best brand. Can't go wrong at all with an Excalibur bow IMHO.

Cheers & Best of Luck with your decision!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 12-21-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Totally agree with Nog, hey Matt you can post up my moose that i got this season with the excalibur if you like If the pic is posted the shot was 52 yards, moose went 20 yards tipped over and was done in about 60 seconds
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Arrow Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Totally agree with Nog, hey Matt you can post up my moose that i got this season with the excalibur if you like If the pic is posted the shot was 52 yards, moose went 20 yards tipped over and was done in about 60 seconds
    I would if I could possibly remember where to find it??
    Shoot me a reminder or two, and I'll get on it...

Cheers,
    Nog - Sadly slipping from SomeTimers into MOST-Timers...

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs up Re: Crossbow Reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    AWESOME SAUCE Buddy!!!

Still need to dirt nap one of those with my bow.
    You very much are an Inspiration!!
    Merry Christmas my Friend!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

I have the 335 Micro and love it. Nice and small for carrying it through the bush, have killed 2 bull elk with it. I would not hesitate to recemmond to anyone.
    KCCO

Just checked the Excalibur website below. They said it was discontinued in 2018, so if you want one, you better act soon.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/matrix-380/

Lol thanks Matt but you are more the inspiration, thanks for all the help. Merry Christmas to you and yours and all the other fine folks on HBC!
    Last edited by Piperdown; 12-24-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I enjoy my Micro 335. I think it's pretty good value when bought as a kit like the one offer at Cabela's right now. You pay a premium for more speed. The Micro does get some of it's velocity from shooting the short 16" Quill, but I believe it has plenty of energy to penetrate game at practical ranges. I was shooting mine with 125 gr. broadheads at a bail of hey. (16" deep). At 60 yards the quills with broadheads were stopping in the fletching. Any closer and they passed through.