Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding Saw Reccomendations

Folding Saw Reccomendations

Was reading a thread on axe recommendations and a few posters noted that they prefer a folding saw over carrying an axe. For efficiency I think that this would make sense. Can anyone recommend a good quality (i.e. light, sharp, durable) folding saw?

Also any comments by people that prefer to carry an axe with them vs folding saw would also be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Folding Saw Reccomendations

I’ve got an inexpensive (not dirt cheap) gerber folding saw, it’s probably 18” long when folded out, it came with 2 blades so I use one for bones if need be and one for wood. It slides nicely into a pocket in my pack and you don’t even know it’s there, I used to carry a hatchet but haven’t since having the saw, I’m probably less likely to cut myself with a saw also lol.

The Wyoming saw is not a folding saw but it breaks down and stores in a pouch. Comes with both a bone and wood blade and is decent quality. Had mine for decades use it every hunting season.

A lot depends on how you plan to use the saw.

I bought a folding "What-a-Saw" about 40 years ago. It has a wood blade and a bone saw blade. I still like it.

This is not a saw for a big tree across the road situation, but for trees and limbs up to 6 or 7 inches it does the trick. Works excellently for splitting the rib cage and pelvis on a deer.

For wood, tough to beat Fiskars or Corona pruning saws in various sizes
    But an axe is a more versatile tool
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Silky saws are true arborists saws and they come is all different size. They also cut like a mofo!

http://www.silkysaws.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Silky saws are true arborists saws and they come is all different size. They also cut like a mofo!

Absolutely. I carry a Silky Big Boy on all the bikes/sleds and tuck one into the panniers on the horses.

x2 for the Wyoming saw.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    For wood, tough to beat Fiskars or Corona pruning saws in various sizes
    But an axe is a more versatile tool
    Looks like Fiskars will be the easiest to find.

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    A lot depends on how you plan to use the saw.
    Mostly cutting small branches/logs for fire - keep on hand for safety/survival. Want to also have available for breaking down bigger game when that time comes - which makes me think interchangeable blades might be nice to have. Usually have a bigger saw or axe in the vehicle for bigger stuff thats fallen on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    x2 for the Wyoming saw.
    These both look good - a quick search for them looks like they might be difficult to get up in Canada - not too many retailers. Will look harder to see if there's any Canadian retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post

These both look good - a quick search for them looks like they might be difficult to get up in Canada - not too many retailers. Will look harder to see if there's any Canadian retailers.
    Lee Valley used to carry them but I don’t see them anymore. Lots on Amazon.