Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FMJ for wolf?

Re: FMJ for wolf?

people look at predators and always want to use small guns and or cheap ammo..

i encourage predator hunting..
    but if you shot a wolf with a fmj i would bet 2 out of 5 times you wouldnt recover the hide.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post

but if you shot a wolf with a fmj i would bet 2 out of 5 times you wouldnt recover the hide.
    UNLESS you hit it right SQUARE thru the front shoulders ! RJ

I disagree. With the first part anyway. My friends and I have spent a pile of time and money developing great predator loads. Not to mention several rifles.

I do agree that you’d be doing more tracking with fmj ammunition.

I thought it was prohibited to use centerfire fmj for hunting. Maybe that's also changed - I wouldn't use the fmj but it would sure leave a neat and tiny exit hole.

I'm going off topic a bit with my question but what do you do with the wolf meat after you get the hides of them? Surly not for human consumption but I guess one could. Would you process then for animal feed or take them to a zoo (not always logistically practical) Pig and chicken feed? Is it used as wild game feed or bait for other preditors? This is not a trolling question - I'm just curious. Please feel free to PM me if you feel that's a sensitive issue to post a reply or Moderators please strike my question if it is an inappropriate question. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Rieber;2060810]I thought it was prohibited to use centerfire fmj for hunting. Maybe that's also changed - I wouldn't use the fmj but it would sure leave a neat and tiny exit hole

It is ILLEGAL ! RJ

[QUOTE=butcher;2060793]I disagree. With the first part anyway. My friends and I have spent a pile of time and money developing great predator loads. Not to mention several rifles.

What Cartridges ? calibers do you use ? what Bullets do you find Best for the least Pelt damage ? Different bullets for Yotes vs Wolfs ? Thks RJ

sorry butcher you are rare.

i have noticed predators can really take a beating tell they die.

From the top down: 7mm Remington Magnum 160 BTSP/ 60 gr. H4831. Now I tried some lighter bullets but accuracy suffered. Obviously too much for coyotes but kills wolves dead. Not super fur friendly to say the least.

.243 Winchester. 62 gr. Barnes HP/ 48 gr W760. Not bad for accuracy but really blew up the small dogs and cats. The best luck I had with this rifle was using 100 grain factory PSP’s.

22-250 win. 50 gr. Hornady V-Max/40 gr. W760. Really great round. I got bored with it though. I had a model 700 SPS with a heavy barrel so very pleasant to shoot.

220 swift. 50 grain nosler ballistic tip/37 gr H4895. Accurate as hell but not a great killer.
    220 swift. 50 grain V-Max/37 gr. H4895. Just a predator killing mo-fo. No exit wounds, hard hitting, accurate. Wolves and coyotes and bobcats. Had a Ruger #1 and I loved it but the darn thing had a muzzle brake and I got tired of the headaches from shooting it. Really would like to get another.

Tried .22wmr, .222 and .223 as well but they bored me as well.

now these are the ones I owned and did okay with. there were plenty of terrible results as well. some others that my friends had but I didn’t keep notes on.
    Last edited by butcher; 12-25-2018 at 04:46 PM.

sorry butcher you are rare.

i have noticed predators can really take a beating tell they die.

Man you got that right. Seen them run off with all kinds of damage. Even from a 300 wby and 45/70.

yes i normally shoot them with watever is closest...and water ever its loaded with lol...
    wolves with 458 wolverines with shotguns bobcats with 22 coyotes with 338..lol and bears with almost every cal and bow i own.
    rule number 1 of preds is dont let them go or it will haunt you.