Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting from a canoe?

Hunting from a canoe?

Planning a fly-in moose hunt in 2019 up in the northwest and will have access to a canoe and many miles of coastline. This has to be one of the oldest ways of hunting in Canada but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Anybody have some tips or tricks about this style of hunting?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting from a canoe?

Don’t tip you will get wet

Definitely waterproof bags for gear.

Take the red and black Mackinaw jacket and a camera. This sounds like a memory filled trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Take the red and black Mackinaw jacket and a camera. This sounds like a memory filled trip.
    Filson? Does any hunter REALLY wear Filson?

@albravo2: Will you be the only one in a Canoe or are there others (and other watercraft) with you? You mentioned coastline... you planning on doing coastal waters in a canoe? Or a sea kayak? Depending on the above the safety gear would vary greatly....

I'm far from an expert, but have done a small amount of hunting from a canoe.

My advice:

• Wear a life-jacket
    • Have a ditch bag with your essentials (fire starter, first aid kit, epirb, emergency blanket, para cord, etc)
    • Run long painters (maybe 20-25 feet) fore and aft
    • Get a dry bag for your gun
    • Tie all your gear into the boat, so if it goes over you don't lose it all.

My partner and I took on major water going though standing waves in the North Thompson, and we did all of the above, and it turned what could have been a disaster into a bad afternoon.
    Last edited by TreeStandMan; 12-20-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Filson? Does any hunter REALLY wear Filson?

@albravo2: Will you be the only one in a Canoe or are there others (and other watercraft) with you? You mentioned coastline... you planning on doing coastal waters in a canoe? Or a sea kayak? Depending on the above the safety gear would vary greatly....
    Lakes only. I wondered if coastline still applied but couldn't think of another word for lakeshore, which would have made more sense anyway, now that I think about it.

I'm OK with respect to safety gear etc, I've done a bit of paddling. More curious about technique for spotting, stalking and shooting from a floating platform.

I've come pretty close to moose and bears while paddling, though never in hunting season. I'm curious of animals perceive less threat from an object on the water.

Have a buddy that all he uses is a canoe ..... he also uses pontoons with it .. something to look at .

ha ha ha,

launched on the harrison 1 cold jan morning with two buddies...
    all wearing floater coats safe as possibe.

we went and set up and i think it was my chubby freind kept moving in the blind a d he left his crome coffee cup out most birds flaired..

on the way back dont know how non of us jacketed up where paddling upstream as a larg flock comes swooping down less than 30 yards
    2 180lbs men and 1 260 pound man all empty are shotguns off the same side ..in a cloud of feather and guns smoke i say boys now thats are dumbest yet..

shooting no issue...you can generally paddle close.