Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting from a canoe?

Re: Hunting from a canoe?

I have done a bunch of moose hunting from a canoe. It can be a very effective way to hunt. Here's what I have learned...for what it's worth:

1) Noise,even a little bit, travels far and loud across the water and can really hamper your efforts. I drop those closed cell blue foamies in the bottom of the canoe and that helps. I can't emphasize enough how far and loud the noise will travel!
    2) Paddle straight at moose when you see one. They have bad depth perception and will let you come in really close if you are paddling straight at them.
    3) Plan who is going to shoot first and set up the rifle so it's easy to reach. Each guy should paddle from the opposite side of his partner and try to shoot on their strong side...So if you are right handed you will likely want to shoot to the left side of the canoe. The front seat guy should figure out how to shoot forward when both seated and kneeling in the canoe. It easier to shoot when kneeling so I prefer to kneel all the time if I'm in the front.
    4) Make sure rifles and paddles are not going slide off seats or gunwales when you are not using them. It make a hell of a racket when they fall.
    5) Keep in mind the the guy in the back can't glass and paddle at the same time...somebody has to steer the boat!

I'm sure i learned more but I can't think of more tips.

Have fun!

Echo Northern guy's comments about noise. Every little bang, scuff and rattle carries a lot farther on the water. But so will your moose calls! Hopefully you aren't planning to be in an aluminum canoe. A great technique (depending on the wind), is to sit about 50 yds offshore and just listen - don't paddle, just sit in the canoe and cup your hands behind your ears while you face the shore. If it's calm you'll be surprised how loud a leaf falling from a tree or a squirrel scampering along the ground is going to sound. Hand-cupping amplifies the sound. Not a big fan of shooting out of a canoe.

I have hunted the Parsnip a fair bit from a canoe in the past, hugely effective. Lots of good advice above. Try to kneel in canoe with knees as far as possible it will help center of balance , and being top heavy. Make sure the non shooter is ready for the recoil as well, things can get a little crazy just after the trigger is pulled.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I would think Mr.Rupp could offer up some info ! There's a fella on GunNutz, I think his online name is Hoyt Cannon check in with him .
    Arctic Lake

Wear lifejacket at all times in the boat and tie your rifle off to a float on a string.

[QUOTE=TreeStandMan;2059716]I'm far from an expert, but have done a small amount of hunting from a canoe.

• Tie all your gear into the boat, so if it goes over you don't lose it all.

This is absolutely essential! I know from bitter experience...

One of the coolest ways to hunt IMO.

I've shot from a canoe with decent results but there is way more motion than you might think so its only really for close shots (under 75 yards). Better to find a good point with a nice tree, sit under it and call and wait. then move to another spot and repeat.

What a buck Dana! Great photo as usual.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    I have done a bunch of moose hunting from a canoe. It can be a very effective way to hunt. Here's what I have learned...for what it's worth:

1) Noise,even a little bit, travels far and loud across the water and can really hamper your efforts. I drop those closed cell blue foamies in the bottom of the canoe and that helps. I can't emphasize enough how far and loud the noise will travel!
    2) Paddle straight at moose when you see one. They have bad depth perception and will let you come in really close if you are paddling straight at them.
    3) Plan who is going to shoot first and set up the rifle so it's easy to reach. Each guy should paddle from the opposite side of his partner and try to shoot on their strong side...So if you are right handed you will likely want to shoot to the left side of the canoe. The front seat guy should figure out how to shoot forward when both seated and kneeling in the canoe. It easier to shoot when kneeling so I prefer to kneel all the time if I'm in the front.
    4) Make sure rifles and paddles are not going slide off seats or gunwales when you are not using them. It make a hell of a racket when they fall.
    5) Keep in mind the the guy in the back can't glass and paddle at the same time...somebody has to steer the boat!

I'm sure i learned more but I can't think of more tips.

Have fun!
    Thanks, that is exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?